Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Adventures in guitar making

I had to put down masking tape for the board sensor on the maple/wenge body. When measuring the width of the board, the sensor would stop at the wenge every time and report that that the board was only 4.something inches wide.
    No, I don't want to scale a 14" project into 4". Thanks but no thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Lincoln96 View Post
    I had to put down masking tape for the board sensor on the maple/wenge body. When measuring the width of the board, the sensor would stop at the wenge every time and report that that the board was only 4.something inches wide.
    No, I don't want to scale a 14" project into 4". Thanks but no thanks.
    Great catch and only reinforces the need to watch and pay attention to what is happening during the start up routine.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Quote Originally Posted by fwharris View Post
    Great catch and only reinforces the need to watch and pay attention to what is happening during the start up routine.
    it was confusing at first. I had a pattern on the card at the time that was only 4" wide (neck) so that messed me up. I kept thinking, "why is it reading the wrong project?" After 3 or 4 re-tries, I realized the board sensor was stopping at the Wenge. It was so black, the sensor wasn't seeing it after the white of the maple.

The mix of woods took me along time to understand why things kept coming up wrong. I still have to stop and think when I haven't been doing mixed wood for a while. Glad you figured it out, can't wait to see a final product.
    Rick H

The CW is not like a template where you pick the center. It picks the center so you have be dead on.
    There is a Jog to Center option.

How wide are your guitar bodies?

Quote Originally Posted by DickB View Post
    There is a Jog to Center option.

How wide are your guitar bodies?
    I haven't played with jog yet, but I'll keep that in mind. I just made a mental note to be sure my pieces were all equal when doing up one of those multi-piece slabs.

The bodies are 13.195" wide, I'm cutting the slabs to about 14-3/8, just under the max. With the 'feather" it comes pretty close at the top edges of the widest parts, about 1/4 left. But CW hasn't complained about that at all. I'm always wondering what sound it makes when you hit the border sensor........I'll probably find out someday.

it was confusing at first. I had a pattern on the card at the time that was only 4" wide (neck) so that messed me up. I kept thinking, "why is it reading the wrong project?" After 3 or 4 re-tries, I realized the board sensor was stopping at the Wenge. It was so black, the sensor wasn't seeing it after the white of the maple.
    The sensor saw light color then dark color and thinks it has crossed the board, giving a bad width measurement. The work around I use is masking tape in a T pattern placed where the sensor travels to fool the sensor to thing it is all light in color

Quote Originally Posted by Mugsowner View Post
    The sensor saw light color then dark color and thinks it has crossed the board, giving a bad width measurement. The work around I use is masking tape in a T pattern placed where the sensor travels to fool the sensor to thing it is all light in color
    I've added a roll of masking tape to my CarveWright "essential items".

I'll be gluing a few carved tops onto their bodies tomorrow. Wish I had one of those vacuum bag systems......that would be so nice.

I had a thought today (happens every so often). I should be able to put a 1-3/4 to 2" thick slab into the CW and using the same pattern as I've been using to make those tops, carve the top of the body to the contours. Making it one piece. I'll be testing that theory in the future.

Because you can never have too many clamps.........
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LP1.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	160.0 KB 
ID:	88139

Because you can never have too many clamps.........
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LP1.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	160.0 KB 
ID:	88139
    No we can not! You missed a spot!
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast