Thread: DXF Import problems - Vector Group

Default DXF Import problems - Vector Group

I've got a DXF image that I extracted from a much bigger image. This was taken from a drawing, converted to a vector image with Inkscape, exported as a DXF, then imported into Designer3 Pro. The import works, even with the full image, and I can use the paths for carving. But, when I try to make a vector group out of the imported paths, Designer crashes (aborts, quits, disappears). Perhaps something wrong with the DXF image, or perhaps something I'm doing wrong, more likely.
    I notice that I get a message from Designer that Not all the DSX file could be imported. Sometimes, after running Auto Connect, there are some paths that have turned into points, but I'm playing with the auto-connect threshold to see if that fixes it.
    If I can get these images into Designer, I'm looking forward to experimenting with them on a couple projects I have this year.
    Thanks for any advice or suggestions.
    Attached Files Attached Files

The DXF imported with out any issues for me. I tried the make vector group and all I got was the error message of "members of a vector group must be closed or not intersect" It did not crash Designer. Maybe try increasing your rendering cache size in the preference settings. You will need to restart Designer after the change.

In looking at your hummingbird I do not think this would be a good one for the vector group carving. Unless I am not seeing what you are trying/wanting to do..

http://support.carvewright.com/tutor...-imported-dxf/
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Floyd: Thanks, the hint about the cache size helped a lot. I also found that the DXF import was joining some lines that were separate in the original drawing, though that wasn't as big as issue. As soon as it warms up, I'm going to try four different carves of this pattern and if the don't all look horrible, I'll share what I learn. They look interesting in Designer, anyway.
    BTW: I really like the DC Insert, it works swell!

Glad to hear the cache size tip helped. Yes, not all dxf files need to have closed vectors. It all depends on the design. Pay close attention when you select the close vector tool. I have missed seeing what it does and had to start back over to get it corrected..

Yes, it Just Sucks!
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Default Carved it out!

I finally tried to carve the whole pattern out. It looks pretty good! I'm going to do some fence art out of this. Thanks again for your help!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hummer.jpg