Thread: dart board surround/frame "freedom isn't free" "lest we forget"

Default dart board surround/frame "freedom isn't free" "lest we forget"

Hi all-- I had some fun this week with a co-worker that asked if he could commission me to make a simple frame for a piece of carpet as a backdrop for a dartboard. I told him, "no, but if you come over to the house we can design and make whatever you'd like"

This was the result. His (very nice) dart board will be hung in the middle.

The frame is a piece of mesquite and is 39ish inches on each side. We literally used every splinter of the mesquite board he bought for the project... no room at all for error. The corners are half-laps. As mesquite is incredibly stable and the pieces are narrow, seasonal movement should not be a problem.

He/we designed the carvings. He was simply amazed that it was so easy and he was able to manipulate things and actually place them where/how he wanted to. Then we carved them on my carvewright and highlighted the lettering and carvings with Minwax onyx stain, which was followed by an oil/poly mix. The carpet is simply contact cemented onto a piece of 1/4 MDF and put into a rebate on the back of the frame. The sides have keyhole slots in the back and the whole assembly will be hung in his garage/mancave. Needless to say, a great time was had (and a few frosty beverages drunk)

Thanks for looking,
    Lawrence

Great results from a "Man Day" for a "Man Cave." It's always rewarding to have a project come out so nice.

Lawrence, Great Work ! I like the shading and how it was applied.

Capt Barry

That is really cool, good job.
    CarverJerry

ver. 1.188 Win 7- 64b with 6 GB ram @ 2.8Ghz and dual 1Tb hard drives. Rock Chuck & Ringneck vacuum system hooked up to a Harbor Freight large vacuum. Center line text, conforming vectors.

6. Default

Nice. Very nice! I really like the concept. The project was well done and I love the wood. I wish I could get it here. Congratulations to both of you for an excellent project.

This dart board surround is more than just a place to aim your throws; it's a powerful reminder of the sacrifices made for our freedom. The stark words "freedom isn't free" serve as a constant challenge to remember those who have fought and died for our right to live in peace. And "lest we forget" is a plea to never take that freedom for granted. Every throw becomes a tribute to those who came before us, a reminder that our liberty comes at a cost.