Thread: Lithograph

Default Lithograph

I am about to carve a lithograph and was wondering what side most people carve if they are using the Candlestone product. One side is smooth and the other is slightly textured. I usually carve the smooth side but was thinking that if I carve the textured side with the smooth side facing the light, would more light be projected through the carved area rather than the untouched area. Is this a case of *half full or half empty*? Thoughts? Thank you.

It is a Lithophane or Lithopane. Lithograph is something different.

To answer your question, I don't think it matters which side.

If not enough light is coming through, make the overall depth in the project deeper. If there is not enough contrast between white & black, make the depth of your imported image greater.

What is depth (thickness) of image and what depth in project are you placing it?
    CarveWright CX Packaged System - starting at $2000
    CarversClub 1 Year Subscription - $150.00/year
    Adv. Support w/out CC membership - $25.00/issue
    CarveWright Community Forum - PRICELESS!

Yes, you are right, lithopane, not sure why I am thinking lithograph. Standard depth as suggested in tutorial. 1/4" material. 180 depth - 450 height. which I have been using for most of my lithopane projects and I am pleased with. I am not sure as to the seeing the light come through, does Desgner Pro have this feature? Thank you.

If you have Designer 3, you can preview it.
    CarveWright CX Packaged System - starting at $2000
    CarversClub 1 Year Subscription - $150.00/year
    Adv. Support w/out CC membership - $25.00/issue
    CarveWright Community Forum - PRICELESS!

when I do lithos i always carve on the smooth side. I like to leave a boarder around the carving and I think the smooth side looks better.

Basic here but it has worked just fine for now. I am thinking of upgrading so I can use 1/32 bit. Thank you

I always make a border as well on the smooth side. Thank you Mike.