Thread: Play in the CarveTight Spindle Chuck

Default Play in the CarveTight Spindle Chuck

I upgraded to the CarveTight spindle over Christmas. Last week I started noticing a horrible racket and heavy vibration in the flex shaft. I didn't notice any damage to the flex shaft, but ordered a new one anyway. While installing today, I noticed there is probably an 1/8 of an inch up and down play in the chuck itself going up into the z-truck housing. Maybe a 1/16 of an inch or a bit more side-to-side play. Is this normal?

Also on the new shaft, do I need to put the spring from the old shaft into the new shaft? I can pull the new shaft out of the z-truck housing pretty easily even with the ball indent in place.

Getting pretty frustrated. I've had the is machine for 2 years, and I can't use it for more than 2 weeks without something happening...

It sounds like you did not get the right side adjustable bearings tightened to the full tightened position and they worked loose. The image below shows how to see and get them to the full tightened position.

They have stopped adding the spring to the new flex shafts. You can put use the original spring is the new unit. I have noticed that the spring does dampen the noise.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails bearing load.PNG  
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Quote Originally Posted by fwharris View Post
    It sounds like you did not get the right side adjustable bearings tightened to the full tightened position and they worked loose. The image below shows how to see and get them to the full tightened position.

That would cause the actual chuck part to have the play in the housing. The play I have is in the part holding the bit. the truck assembly is tight on the rail.

That might be the bearings not seated properly in the housing. I would contact CarveWright on Monday to let them know. Any possibility of doing a short video?
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Buy CarveWright

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Are you a FaceBook user and a member of the Carvaholics page? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1041312339227740/
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Buy CarveWright

Are you a FaceBook user and a member of the Carvaholics page? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1041312339227740/
    Just submitted a request

Just approved you.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Buy CarveWright

That might be the bearings not seated properly in the housing. I would contact CarveWright on Monday to let them know. Any possibility of doing a short video?

I'll post the video on the Facebook group. I'm having issues getting it on here.