Thread: Carving boards thicker than 1"??

Default Carving boards thicker than 1"??

I ran into something new today.
    I was set up to do some carving on a piece of wood that is 1-5/8" thick. The pattern is not a "carve through", and I set the max. depth of carve to 1". The bit the CW machine asked for was the standard 1/16 carving bit. I loaded the bit and when it came to measuring board thickness, the bit would not go down far enough to touch the sliding plate. It would then give me two option, 1- retry, 2 - Abort. I aborted several times and started over. I scrolled through the bit options available on the CW machine, but it only gave me the 3 carving bits (1/16, 1/8, 3/16) as options and none of them would go down far enough to touch the sliding plate.

I have a long 1/8" carving bit and I tried that even though it wasn't a bit option in the CW. The longer bit would stall the axis on the second time the locating plate came out and shut things down. Unfortunately, I mailed my card programmer back to CW this morning for testing, so I can't go back into the file and change the bit choice to the long 1/8.

Is that all that's required here? Everything I planned to do with this machine uses boards between 1-1/2" and 1-3/4" thick. I don't need to carve through them, I just need to carve on them. Will this machine ever be capable of that? Somewhere I read it would carve up to 2" with the longer bit.

Yes, to carve that deep you will need the long carving bits. The max depth of cut for the standard carving bits is 0.8" I believe CW recommends using the 1/8" long carving bit as the 1/16" long bit flexes to much.

http://www.carvewright.com/bits/
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Just when you think you've seen it all, someone points out something new. Good link. Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Lincoln96 View Post
    Just when you think you've seen it all, someone points out something new. Good link. Thank you
    You are welcome. That link is found under the "products" tab on the main page. The products tab has links to everything they sell. Each one has descriptions and/or links to tutorials.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.