I ran into something new today.
I was set up to do some carving on a piece of wood that is 1-5/8" thick. The pattern is not a "carve through", and I set the max. depth of carve to 1". The bit the CW machine asked for was the standard 1/16 carving bit. I loaded the bit and when it came to measuring board thickness, the bit would not go down far enough to touch the sliding plate. It would then give me two option, 1- retry, 2 - Abort. I aborted several times and started over. I scrolled through the bit options available on the CW machine, but it only gave me the 3 carving bits (1/16, 1/8, 3/16) as options and none of them would go down far enough to touch the sliding plate.

I have a long 1/8" carving bit and I tried that even though it wasn't a bit option in the CW. The longer bit would stall the axis on the second time the locating plate came out and shut things down. Unfortunately, I mailed my card programmer back to CW this morning for testing, so I can't go back into the file and change the bit choice to the long 1/8.

Is that all that's required here? Everything I planned to do with this machine uses boards between 1-1/2" and 1-3/4" thick. I don't need to carve through them, I just need to carve on them. Will this machine ever be capable of that? Somewhere I read it would carve up to 2" with the longer bit.