Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Can I see dimensions on an imported STL file?

The only thing I might try is to contact CW and see if they might have any suggestions. They might want the project file to look at.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

That is interesting. I use the STL Importer a lot and have had problems where the original STL File is too large and the program crashes but I have never had a problem after I create the file in designer and try to upload it to the card. Please let us know what you find out.

I contacted tech support and got a reply back. I sent them the file I was having trouble with and they were able to upload it to a memory card without issue. They said the problem must be either the USB port I'm using, or the programmer, or the card not going into the programmer fully.
    I've tried every USB port on two different computers and got the same result every time. The upload stalls at 40%, then crashes at 45%. We're working on a solution.

EDIT: I ordered a new card programmer. I'm hoping that's end of my troubles.

Good luck. I almost exclusively use the stl importer and it works fairly well for me. So hope your hardware issues get resolved. You will enjoy the add-on.

Quote Originally Posted by oscarl48 View Post
    Good luck. I almost exclusively use the stl importer and it works fairly well for me. So hope your hardware issues get resolved. You will enjoy the add-on.
    I'm really hoping it's a bad card programmer/reader causing me grief. The STL importer worked really well once I took the time to figure out how to use it properly. It's a good tool.

Can you load any file to the card?

Quote Originally Posted by Dale View Post
    Can you load any file to the card?
    Yes, anything file under about 500KB usually loads without issue. It's the bigger files I'm having trouble with. At some point the up-load will stall out for about a minute, not progress, and then start moving again & crash 4% later.
    And sometimes if I do get through the up-load process, I take the card out to my CW, and the CW will say the card is unreadable.

I really hope it is the programmer. If it isn't, I'll be looking at buying another computer and putting nothing else on that computer except CW software & files. There's nothing else left I can try.

I have carved quite a few projects well over 500KB so hopefully it is your programmer! In fact I have a file that is 2,650KB in size. It does take a fair amount of time to load though. I am using a laptop with 16KB of memory and use a USB hub that supports USB version 3.

Well, my new card reader/programmer arrived today and I uploaded the files I was having trouble with. They sailed right through. I'm about to try them in the machine.

Glad to hear that was your problem. Did the people at CarveWright say what the issue might was with the other card?

Happy Carving!
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast