Thread: trouble saving pattern

Default trouble saving pattern

Greetings everyone, first I have to say that I have not been posting for long time basically because my MS has progressed to the point that I am unable to use my Carvewright machine without assistance. I do however play with the program and work at making new designs. I have been making a new design for another cribbage board but I am having trouble getting the program to save the design when I’m done with it. I click on “Save” and go to look in my files and the pattern is not saved as a carvewright file but simply saved as a numbered file such as “5 File”or “85 File”. When I click on it to try and open it the computer prompts me to choose which app I want to use to open it. I have tried saving it under different names and in different folders but always with the same result. Can anyone help me with a solution to this problem? Kind of irritating spend a couple of hours making a design only to have it be unacessible when you go back to work on it again.

Try: Click "Save AS" Choose the location. Type a name in the box at the bottom. Click save. Assuming you are on a "PC"

Hope this helps!

Thank you for your reply. Everything that you said I should try I had already done and it did no good. I tried saving it in different folders and under a different file and it did no good. I do however think I found the problem. You see when I save a new pattern for a cribbage board I saved the pattern name as the board size. This makes it easier for me to come back and pick out a pattern when I have a particular board size to use. So if I’m using the board that is 20 inches long and 5 inches wide I save the file under the name “20 X 5”. The particular pattern that I was having problems with saving was a board that was 23 inches long and 6.85 inches wide and I was trying to save it under the name “23 X 6.85” and apparently the program did not like that name. Now I have saved patterns in the past with names similar to this with no problem but apparently it did not like this particular name and wouldn’t take it. When I changed the name to “23 X 7” it saved it with no problem.

Anytime a file is named, you should AVOID using (.) a period. Computer programs see the period as the end of the file name and the first three letters after the period indicate which type of program is used to open the file.

Many people use an underscore (_) in place of a period when naming a file.

Examples:
    sample.doc is a word document file
    sample.xls is an excel spreadsheet
    sample.txt is a text file
    sample.pdf is an Adobe PDF file
    sample.mpc is a Designer file.
    Last edited by lynnfrwd; 01-21-2020 at 02:59 PM.
    CarveWright CX Packaged System - starting at $2000
    CarversClub 1 Year Subscription - $150.00/year
    Adv. Support w/out CC membership - $25.00/issue
    CarveWright Community Forum - PRICELESS!

Interesting! i never thought about that!! Good to know. Thank you!

Thanks forthe info, that probably explains why I was having so much trouble getting theprogram to save.