Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is the board sensor affected by cold?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Is the board sensor affected by cold?

I went to carve a project this morning that requires a 26" x 11.25 x .750 board. On setup, the CV measured the board and said the board was 19.113 inches long. Now I watched the board scroll right from one end, to the other, and back. I know it saw the whole 26" inches. No error messages or anything. It just said board is 19.11 / 26 inches, press 1 to scale. Tried it a few times, same. Turned the board over a few ways so different edges would be on the brass roller, same. These boards are jointed and planed. Tried 2 different boards 26" inches long, they also measured 19.xxx" on the CV. No errors, no messages, just an incorrect reading. I've learned to hold the boards against the fence of my table saw to make sure they are straight & flat. These are all nice, straight boards.

It's a chilly morning in western Canada, about -36 degrees. My shop is sitting at approx. 54 degrees. Is that cold enough to affect the board sensor? Does that little o-ring get hard and start to slip? It's a new machine, so it has the rubber belts, not sandpaper. Do they slip when cold? The movement while measuring has always been very smooth. The board is not slipping on the belts.

Suggestions welcomed.

7" difference. (7 inch rule.) Say NO to stay under rollers, if you have added the 7" to the length of your actual board or are using a jig. READ CHAPTER TWO: http://support.carvewright.com/wp-co...hapter_1_1.pdf

Cold weather makes the machine contract, which makes for a lower head pressure and low head pressure means a lower board sensor reading.
    CarveWright CX Packaged System - starting at $2000
    CarversClub 1 Year Subscription - $150.00/year
    Adv. Support w/out CC membership - $25.00/issue
    CarveWright Community Forum - PRICELESS!

Thanks for the work-around Al! I never thought of taping a scrap of wood on each end. Great idea. Never a shortage of wood scraps. Makes more sense than trying to do everything on a sled.
    I'm not a big Facebook guy, but the wife & I do have an account we share. I'll check it out. Thanks
    Dave

It looks like you said YES to staying under the rollers. When you do that the machine will add 7" to your design board size. What was your design size? If it was 19" and you used a 26" board to follow the 7" rule tell the machine NO to staying under the rollers. Then it will only look to see if the board is at least your design length and width. When it sees that the board is at least the size it will ask how you want to place your design. Most common used is "center on board".

At 54* you should be okay but always check your head pressure before starting up. If it is low try using a small space heater in front of the machine to warm it up. Just do not put it to close to the machine. Usually about 10 to 15 minutes will be enough.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

yesterday I even tried a carve with "don't stay under rollers" just to see how the machine reacts. I had the extra 7" on my board. The CW measured the board, asked me if I wanted to center to project on the board, and away it went. No fuss, no muss.

head pressure is 82lbs. Project requires a 19" board + 7" rule = 26". I don't understand why the machine is not correctly measuring the board I put into it

I was back to that Wilderness Eagle Clock project, the same one I could never get to upload. I officially give up. I'm moving onto something else. (for now)

Just do a board measurement without loading the project.

Are you saying YES to under the rollers or NO? it does make a difference.. see my comments from earlier...
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Buy CarveWright

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Quote Originally Posted by fwharris View Post
    Just do a board measurement without loading the project.

Are you saying YES to under the rollers or NO? it does make a difference.. see my comments from earlier...
    Yes, I caught what you said. I'll try it tomorrow with not staying under the rollers. I've been doing it wrong by including the extra 7 inches into the plan on the board settings. I'm just trying to understand why, what I've been doing up to this point, has all of a sudden changed. All along I've been loading projects with the extra 7 inches and saying stay under rollers.

Do a board measure on that last board. I bet the machine is seeing it just a little under your design size and that is why you are getting the scale message.

I always design for my finished board size.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Buy CarveWright

Today I'm creating test projects and carving them. Just as an opportunity to watch how the machine functions under normal conditions.
    I'm learning things, and everything is working perfectly.

I haven't given up totally on the Eagle Clock pattern yet. I was trying to change the board size in the program from 26" to 19" like it should be. That didn't go very well, I need more learning. When it shortened the board, it took the 7" off one side. It's a 4 element pattern and when I try to center things again, it centers all 4 elements, stacking them on top of each other. The learning continues. Good, clean fun.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast