Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Still having Upload & memory card Problems

Default Still having Upload & memory card Problems

The card that came with my carvewright failed to read at about 98% on the first project I attempted. After that, it made it though 4 or 5 projects before becoming totally unreadable by either the machine or my computer.

I ordered 2 new memory cards, they came, but it's been very hit & miss as to whether they work or not. One pattern in particular I cannot upload no matter how many times I try or what I do. It's the Eagle Clock from the CV pattern depot. Other patterns are hit & miss as to whether they will complete loading or not. Sometimes, I get lucky.

I've been reading, I moved the card reader to a USB on the back of my computer, I got rid of my cordless mouse, made sure there was nothing running in the background, run as administrator, everything I could find mention of, I have tried.

The only thing I haven't tried yet is loading the software onto another computer so I can determine if my PC is at fault. It's Windows 10, Intel i5 7400, with 12GB memory, new in 2017.

I'm using a dust system, it is grounded to the structure and with an actual wire to the cravewright. I do not vacuum anything while the machine is on or while the card is installed. I've been very careful with how I handle the memory cards.

If anyone can think of anything else I can try, please let me know.
    Thank you

This is the message I get:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CV error writing to flash1.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	226.0 KB 
ID:	88047

I also get this message on the screen where you load the firmware. Note it says "firmware bad"

Name:	CV firmare1.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	229.2 KB 
ID:	88048

different project, same message. Projects get to about 75% uploaded and then stalls out & crash.

Name:	CV error writting to flash2.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	271.8 KB 
ID:	88049

Software is designer pro 3

reformat the card and reflash the firmware. do the through the flash manager
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

I'm paying better attention to messages now. I had the two parts of a project (30's Radio Clock) loaded onto card #2. Carved both on MFD, everything went good. I put in a piece of birch, and selected part #1 of the two parts in the project. It wouldn't read. Message said - Object unreadable (60) Please ensure your Design software and machine firmware are compatible. Press any key to abort.

And it wouldn't abort with the keypad. I had to shut off the power switch to make it go away.

Quote Originally Posted by fwharris View Post
    reformat the card and reflash the firmware. do the through the flash manager
    Normally, I have a project open when I format/reflash firmware. After seeing your message, I went in and formatted & downloaded new firmware without a project open. The firmware now reads a version number and not "bad". Part #1 of the "30's Radio Clock" loaded onto my third card without incident. As soon as part 2 finishes carving, I'll go see if the CW can read the card now.

The CW machine read the card I just uploaded and that project is being cut right now. Sure be great if that's all it was.

back to reality now.......last project I was carving (part 2 of the 30's clock) broke a bit. The 1/8" cutting bit is no more. I'll have to order some.

The project got far enough along that I can save it with a bandsaw & router using the MDF parts I carved previously as a template. Is there any way to save a half carved project when you break a cutter?

That sounds like some progress was made. Lets hope the updated firmware was your issue. To prevent damaging the card when you are taking the card out of the machine use some duct tape to make a pull tab to grab on to instead of grabbing and squeezing the card.

To recover a project that only has the cut out left to do you can delete (or use the "hide" tool) everything that was carved/completed. This should leave just the cut path. Reload to the card. You will probably need to fool the board sensor for the measuring process at the beginning. Place a strip across the width of the board and when you put the board in the machine put it so that the masking tape is under the board sensor. You should not need any for the length measurement if you were following the 7" rule.

CarveWright recommends using the 3/16" cutting bit and do the cut path as one pass.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Quote Originally Posted by fwharris View Post
    CarveWright recommends using the 3/16" cutting bit and do the cut path as one pass.
    yes, the 3/16" cutting bit is now my best friend.

I was watching the cutout this time and it seems quite aggressive. 3/4 of an inch in 3 passes, in a good hard piece of birch lumber, she was working. No wonder the 1/8" cutter gave up.
    I now have all the parts to the "30's Radio Clock" cut out, I can assemble it tomorrow while the CW is carving something else. Onward & upward.

Full Stop!

now the card reader messed up suddenly. Went to put the card into the reader and it wouldn't go in all the way. The second row of pins on the left side is out of alignment.

I do a lot of electronics work, I've got some pretty precision stuff......gonna give it a try.

Happy to report that I was able to fix the card reader.

Even happier to report that the project I could never load (Eagle Clock) has now been uploaded successfully! What did I learn? It seems that reformatting and downloading new firmware must be done without a project open in the program. Otherwise the firmware gets corrupted somehow. Does that make any sense at all?

And because I haven't been kicked in the groin enough yet today, I put the original "bad" card back in the reader, with the program running, and no project open, formatted, loaded new firmware, and now that card is working too.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast