Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bits not measuring right

Default Bits not measuring right

What's wrong when all the bits I put into my machine to start a carve, come back saying "bit does not measure properly" ? It was asking for a 1/8" cutting bit, I put it in, rejected it. I put in the 1/8 carving bit, it didn't like that either. I tried both cutting & carving 1/16" bits, rejected both of them too. I have a 3/16" carving, it didn't like that one either. The only one I didn't try was the long 1/8 carving.

What's going on? What happens when I hit #2 and tell it to carry on?

Did I have a wrong bit in the machine at some point and it remembers that measurement? And wants to see it again?

Cutting is a sharp flat nose, and carving is a curved/angled point, right??

Cutting is a sharp flat nose, and carving is a curved/angled point, right?? Right
    Did I have a wrong bit in the machine at some point and it remembers that measurement? No
    And wants to see it again? No
    What's going on? Not sure
    What happens when I hit #2 and tell it to carry on?I would hit 2 and tell it to continue and see what it does.

Well, after aborting the project, shutting thing down and coming in to type out the message above........I went out, started over again. The machine asked for the 1/8" cutting bit, I put it in, found it no problems. After that the machine asked for the 1/16" carving bit, I put that in, again no problems and it started carving the project. (mantle clock)

I have no idea what was wrong, but I guess the fix is to shut it down and start over.

Quote Originally Posted by Mugsowner View Post
    Cutting is a sharp flat nose, and carving is a curved/angled point, right?? Right
    Did I have a wrong bit in the machine at some point and it remembers that measurement? No
    And wants to see it again? No
    What's going on? Not sure
    What happens when I hit #2 and tell it to carry on?I would hit 2 and tell it to continue and see what it does.
    Thanks for the reply. As you can see it repaired it self. I'm still curious though as to what would have happened if I hit choice #2. Hopefully I'll never need to find out.

Were you getting the "please load bit" message each time? If so the bit plate was not being pushed out far enough for the bit to come down and touch down 2 times to measure it.

This is a link to show you what the bits look like. There is also images and descriptions in the owners manual..

http://www.carvewright.com/bits/
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Quote Originally Posted by fwharris View Post
    Were you getting the "please load bit" message each time? If so the bit plate was not being pushed out far enough for the bit to come down and touch down 2 times to measure it.

This is a link to show you what the bits look like. There is also images and descriptions in the owners manual..

http://www.carvewright.com/bits/
    I forget the exact wording of the message, but it was something like "loaded bit does not measure as expected" "#1 try again" #2 carry on. I'll start taking a picture of the message when I get a strange one. It's ok to post pictures on this forum, right?

Anyway, the project finished cutting with no problem after I started the process over. Success!

Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Lincoln96 View Post
    I forget the exact wording of the message, but it was something like "loaded bit does not measure as expected" "#1 try again" #2 carry on. I'll start taking a picture of the message when I get a strange one. It's ok to post pictures on this forum, right?

Anyway, the project finished cutting with no problem after I started the process over. Success!

Thank you
    Yes it is okay to post pictures and a lot of times they really help with narrowing down the issue. Glad to hear you were able to finish the project. On your error message, if you select #2 carry on (continue I think is the correct term) the machine will then accept the current measurement that it just did and carve/cut based on that.

What bits are you getting this message with? Are the bits in the CW pressed on collets or are they in a removable collet? To set the bit at the same depth in the chuck each time try using bit stops on the shank of the bit.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Buy CarveWright

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Quote Originally Posted by fwharris View Post
    Yes it is okay to post pictures and a lot of times they really help with narrowing down the issue. Glad to hear you were able to finish the project. On your error message, if you select #2 carry on (continue I think is the correct term) the machine will then accept the current measurement that it just did and carve/cut based on that.

What bits are you getting this message with? Are the bits in the CW pressed on collets or are they in a removable collet? To set the bit at the same depth in the chuck each time try using bit stops on the shank of the bit.
    All the bits I am using are genuine CarveWright bits with the pressed on collar. It was the 1/8" cutting bit that started it all.

Thanks for the info, if I ever get that message again, I'll take a picture of it and carry on. Being new to this, I just wasn't sure what would happen.

I can see myself ordering a spare 1/8 cutting bit, it seems to be the one doing all the hard work.

Thanks for the feedback. Since they are all the pressed on adapters just make sure you are setting the bit all of the way into the chuck so that the collar is against the chuck.

Yes, the 1/8" straight cutting bit is a work horse and one should always have a few back ups.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Buy CarveWright

In my opinion what happened is that you installed the bits for a pre carve. When you went to install the bit a 2nd time the machine saw that the bit installed the 2nd time was a different length from the pre carve bit check. This could have happened where you did not insert the bit all the way in the first time OR the 2nd time... Selecting a different bit would give you the error. It is important to watch the bit checks... 2 times touching the bit plate is good... 3 times is the machine did not like your first 2 readings, they were not the same.... Dirty Z Belt, Dirty Roller Rail Bearings, Dirty Z Rails... Or bit not inserted all the way.
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast