Thread: Help, cut motor won't turn on

Default Help, cut motor won't turn on

Hi everyone, I have a 2nd C machine I thought I'd keep as a parts machine but now would like to get it up and going again instead.

The problem with it is while it measures the boards fine & runs through the bit setup fine, it goes to run the project but won't turn on the cut motor. The cut motor is fine and I have hooked it up directly to plug in the wall and turned it on just to check it. It will not turn on from the key pad either.

My thought is that I need a new controller but at $375 I'd like a few other opinions. https://store.carvewright.com/produc...cat=254&page=1

Thanks

It is probably not the controller. I would look at the cover switch (bit plate end of the cover), the wire connection at the motor, the X termination board on the bottom of the machine right side for any burnt components or loose connections. Also check the motor brushes.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

The cover switch is bypassed. Haven't had a clear cover on either of my machines since back around 2012 sometime I believe.

I will check the X term board but I did already replace that once. I'll go thoroughly through the wires again also. The motor itself runs good. I have an cord that I wired to the motor and plugged it into the wall and it turns on perfect.

The keypad thinks the motor is running but its not. After it goes through all it's measurements and bits setup it says "Routing Figure..." but it never turns the cut motor on so I have to stop it fast before it breaks a bit and stalls.

The cut motor switch is not the same as the cover open switch. It is on the opposite end of the cover.

http://www.carvewright.com/assets/se...ver_switch.pdf

The key pad display gets it's information from the controller. The controller has told the cut motor to turn on BUT there is a open (bad connection, component/part) that is keeping it from running.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

The switch on the left side is for the cover, the switch on the right is for the motor.

Ok, now I went and did something dumb but honestly I haven't worked on my machines that much over the years and this machine has sat for a couple years so I tried something I wouldn't of normally.

The cover switch is tied together and it works fine thinking the cover is closed. I thought maybe I'll tie the rest of the wires together and see if it will allow the cut motor to turn on but the motor still didn't turn on even thought it said it was running BUT THEN IT HAPPENED... The keypad went out. I don't know if I shorted something or one of the wires I cut was essential for the keypad. There is still power going into the machine because you can feel the resistance in the y & z when sliding back and forth and then hitting the power button on and instantly feel the resistance come on but the keypad is dead.

I was already planning on buying the controller before I went trouble shooting elsewhere so I'm ready to buy parts but I don't know where to go from here?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CW 1.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	253.1 KB 
ID:	88045

*UPDATE: After sitting here reading through the wiring diagrams it appears what I cut and tied together was the cover accessory connector which I don't believe has anything to do the motor cut off switch. I don't have a motor cut off switch on the machine. The manual says do not remove this switch as it could cause damage to the machine but apparently a few years ago I didn't know that and did it anyways.

Now I'm still stuck at the keypad not coming on.

Best to call LHR on this one.
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com