Thread: Broken Flexshaft didn’t ruin my day!

Default Broken Flexshaft didn’t ruin my day!

This week as I started the carving on the 5th Red Christmas Truck. Just as it began to carve, I noticed the spindle was not turning with the motor running so I opened the cover just in time to save the bit. The flexshaft connector end at the motor was detached and the motor plastic housing around the retaining screw was broken off. I am guessing the flexshaft was loose and the vibration caused it to break the piece of the retaining housing.

Not really that big of a deal as this was a 20-minute repair. A few drops of medium CA glue for the broken piece of the retaining screw then drilled and tapped a 4mm hole for a new retaining screw. Aligned the flexshaft to a position where it was not in a strain when connected to the Z-Truck and made a reference mark with a Sharpie then applied thick CA glue. I added 2 tie wraps around the flexshaft and frame to prevent further twisting although perhaps it might have been designed to have slack there especially on a full width workpiece. Time will tell for sure.

Reassembled the machine and started the 5th Red Christmas Truck with no problems and will carve another one tomorrow. The broken shaft didn’t ruin my day or break the bit but I think I will order a new flexshaft to have as a spare.

Happy Carving!
    Dave
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CW_Flex-10.jpg   CW_Flex-12.jpg   CW_Flex-13.jpg   CW_Flex-14.jpg  

CW_Flex-100.jpg  

Good job, but I would be careful about those tywraps creating a spot of friction (heat).
    CarveWright CX Packaged System - starting at $2000
    CarversClub 1 Year Subscription - $150.00/year
    Adv. Support w/out CC membership - $25.00/issue
    CarveWright Community Forum - PRICELESS!

I will do some temperature readings on those spots. Thanks!

Nice job on the repair. The tywraps may give you an issue, but I do not think they will not. The strength you added to the cable housing holding power is huge. Not sure if repair would hold without them. Thinking you applied the tywraps by hand and not with a tool designed for them. You should not have the pull on them to crush the steel coil housing the cable, which would cause heat. The cable housing is tied down inside the head before it exits the cover slot, so the movement should not be hampered in any way. I would still watch the cable for heat, just to make sure. the heat watching thing should be done on all machines and they do their work as a preventive measure to make sure you do not melt down. I normally check mine in a couple spots when I check the carve process. Today the ability to check temperatures with the push of a button has made this a very easy task.

I used J-B Weld in October 2007.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC06744_WEB.jpg   DSC06741_WEB.jpg   DSC06742_WEB.jpg  
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

I would agree with Al the epoxy repair would be much stronger.

The plastic end of my flex cable came off years ago. I secured it with epoxy, but also placed a tie wrap to relieve stress on the cable, help secure the connection to the cut motor, and help prevent a similar problem. No issues with the tie wrap.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	S6304269.JPG 
Views:	13 
Size:	682.5 KB 
ID:	88022