Thread: Need a little assistance

1. Default Need a little assistance

Hi All,

I am not understanding why, when I do a piece that it does not take up more of the board, how can I make it proportional to the board. Also I don't think I am using the right bit? How do I know what bit to use on what portion, and how to I tell carvewright that I need to change bits? I would greatly appreciate it if someone could show me what I am not doing right. I learn by doing, so if you could explain that would be great. I have done a few pieces that have come out alright. I am enclosing 3 views of my board.

Thank you
    LoriblackdogClick image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0401.JPG 
Views:	42 
Size:	283.0 KB 
ID:	87997SLskulldone.mpcClick image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0399.JPG 
Views:	34 
Size:	909.5 KB 
ID:	87996Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0401.JPG 
Views:	42 
Size:	283.0 KB 
ID:	87997SLskulldone.mpcClick image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0399.JPG 
Views:	34 
Size:	909.5 KB 
ID:	87996

1st - I'm guessing you are picking stay under rollers, which shrinks it down 7".
    2nd - it looks like a low resolution image that you imported.
    3rd - you should be using the 1/16" carving bit, by default (not sure which one you are using).
    4th - plywood doesn't always give you the best carve.
    CarveWright CX Packaged System - starting at $2000
    CarversClub 1 Year Subscription - $150.00/year
    Adv. Support w/out CC membership - $25.00/issue
    CarveWright Community Forum - PRICELESS!

Connie is correct, plywood does not carve well for pattern type carves. It will chip/tear out to easily.

You design board size shows to be 18" long and 12" wide. How are you telling the machine they way you want to carve this? If YES to staying under the rollers it will add 7" to your design length (18") and then look for a board that is at least 25" long. If it finds it to be at least that long it will accept the board size and ask if you want to place it on center. IF it sees the board shorter than 25" it will ask if you want to scale the carving to the board size it sees or do you want to install a new board. If you say YES to scaling it will shrink down the carving to what it sees the board size as. When it does that you will not get what you designed.

Since you pictures look like you are using boards that are 7" longer than the design size say NO to staying under the rollers. This will tell the machine to only look for a board that is at least the size of your design. Once it sees your board is bigger than the design it will ask how to place, center....

BITS..... the default bit for carving all patterns on a board is the 1/16" tapered ball nose CARVING BIT. You can view and change the bit in the "board setting" in the pattern bit selection. If you change to another bit it will be the one for ALL patterns in your design for that board.

When you are at the machine when it asks for the bits at that start those are the ones called for in your design. DO NOT use the arrow keys to find and select any other bit. Doing so you are modifying how your design will be carved and you will not get what you want.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

4. Default

Hi Lynnfrwd,

Thank you so much, I know plywood is not the best but until I get better, which I have. I appreciate your pointers about staying under the rollers, and I will make sure I am using the 1/16 bit, I am not sure which one my husband put in. I will let you know. Thanks again and Have A Merry Christmas and Happy New Year

Loriblackdog