Thread: Bit Tip Locater Plate didn't actuate

Default Bit Tip Locater Plate didn't actuate

Hi - I am learning a new problem - when initiating the job, the Z-truck moved all the way to the right to home the bit. The "Bit Tip Locater Plate" did not swing out like it was supposed to. The z-truck dipped down several times but not finding the plate it returned to center and told me to "load a bit," which I'd already done.
    The other day SUPPORT had me retension the y-axis belt, so I'm guessing it has to do with that, but the machine did run correctly after I had done that.
    Has someone seen this problem? Is there a calibration to tell the Y-axis to move all the way to the right? Thanks in advance.

If you removed the top cover make sure the cut motor wires are not in the way, as first picture shows. Make sure they are tucked behind the cut motor as in second picture, if not the truck will not be able to move the bit locator. the wires are right be hind the Y tensioner.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cut motor wires 1.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	160.9 KB 
ID:	87951Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cut motor wires 2.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	170.3 KB 
ID:	87952

Mike's post is the most common cause for the truck not moving far enough to push the bit plate out for the bit touch off. Also check that the Y rails and bearings are clean and lubed, no dust build up in/on the bit plate spring.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Thanks Mikewiz - good call. I did have the cover off (repeated trouble with the microswitches!). Cut motor wires were in the way.

Glad you fixed it and glad I could help.

ALSO since you needed to tighten the Y Belt... I would QUICKLY order some 685ZZ Bearings and make plans for some preventive maintenance and replace the two bearings inside the Y Gearbox. Having to tighten the Y belt is a sign of failing 685ZZ Bearings... IF you wait... You will wear thin the metal shaft of the Y gearbox. Tim sells a shaft to let you replace the shaft on the plastic gear. Does everyone here know there is a CarveWright Facebook Page? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1041...f=group_header
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com