Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pattern help/education

Default Pattern help/education

Trying to make a plaque with this symbol. The black rings are the bottom and the white area the 'top'. Having a problem getting the white area in the ovals to have the height of the board surface. My .PNG I imported has the white area outside of the black removed. Have removed the white inside the ovals without any luck. Want to be able to spray paint and then sand off leaving only the colored rings inset into the board. Appreciate the education on how to accomplish this. Have version 3.106 and pattern editor. Also use Corel Paintshop to edit pics.
    Thx, Rick H
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 3 ring ovals.png  

In designer, black is top and white is bottom. So you have to invert the pattern after importing the image into designer. You want to make sure you have 100% black and 100% white for top and bottom of pattern. You can also establish your heights in editor though.

Alternate method is to do the work in a 2d program to invert the colors and to make sure you have the right colors.

A third method is to just use designer to recreate the symbol. It should be a quick 2 minutes to do after the 10 minutes it took me playing and figuring out the grouping a clip carving exclusive.

4th way is to create the pattern externally.

Do you have a better image of the symbol?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2019-11-30 13_22_59-Window.png   2019-11-30 13_24_38-Window.png  

Hi Rick, What is happening when you try to make the white be the surface? The image is too small to be a clean set of rings, too pixilated. You can design it larger, then resize on the board.

If you hover the cursor over the white, does the reading say zero? (my cursor is over the board, outside the wheels)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	zero from surface.PNG 
Views:	10 
Size:	127.2 KB 
ID:	87945
    If it does read 0, then when the machine goes to finding surface, pause and put a shim under where the bit will touch the board. I use a biz card. The bit will cause a small dent in most wood, and that dent becomes the new surface. Remove the shim before carving starts.

Oscar,
    I only had an image which I copied and pasted. Guess I've got a lot to learn, have tried recreating in editor but results are scary. What you put together in a few minutes I struggled and couldn't achieve. Naturally in a rush for a gift, what would you charge for that mpc?

Diane,
    Your explanation was right on as to what's happening. Have used the cursor to verify heights, white does say zero, just must be to small to make a good carve. Pic of what I see.

Must be time to set aside a slot to really study the software and see what I can grasp.
    Thx for the responses. Rick H
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Noname.png  

Rick, here are a few more attempts.

Different ways to get at it. I re-did the pattern using designer, 3d model (STL import), and rendered 2d image. Three completely different ways to get the same (similar) result. I enclosed what looked to me the best of the 3 patterns.

I did take artistic license and rounded the bottoms out. Let me know if need/want them straight and I can re-port.

It will also depend on how small you are carving the pattern. Anything smaller than 2 inches and I started getting less than optimal results with the 1/16 carving bit.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2019-11-30 14_41_50-Window.png   3 oval symbolv2.png   3 oval symbol.jpg  
    Attached Files Attached Files

Oscar,
    Really looks fantastic. Plan is for them to be about 2 in. Really do appreciate your help. Might want to ask you a couple of questions down the road.
    Thx a mil,
    Rick H

Oscar,
    Finally figured out what I was missing and managed to create the 3 ovals. Now I'm stuck trying to create a pattern from it. Watched an Ask BUd on creating a pattern from an MPC but I can not get the Extract Pattern icon to come on. Can only save as MPC, no MPW or PTN option. Have done Select All, tried manually selecting everything but the Icon never shows available. Know it's going to be something simple but I can't seem to spot it. Attached is what I made.
    Thx, Rick H
    Attached Files Attached Files

Rick,

I only have designer 2.xx so can't open your mpc. Means I also don't know the specific buttons for designer 3. Hopefully someone can see what is going on with it.

But I went back to my model and played with that to see if there was strange behavior. The make pattern button did come up but every time I used it I only got a cutout without the rest of the objects.

I finally figured out I had to save the pattern in stages. Since the three ellipse objects are identical I focused on only one of the ellipse objects.

I made a pattern from the inner two ellipses and saved it.

I deleted the two ellipse on the screen model and replaced it with the newly created pattern.

Grouped that with the third outer ellipse and made another pattern.

Finally got the pattern I needed.

I then copied the pattern twice and placed them where I needed and made the final symbol pattern.

Hope this helps and again designer 3 might have a better way to do it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2019-12-01 10_10_41-Window.png   2019-12-01 10_11_24-Window.png   2019-12-01 10_12_28-Window.png  

Sorry, I have both 3.1 and 1.8 so I could have sent it in a readable. Pattern extraction is the same button in 3, will try tour method and let you know.
    Thx again, Rick H

To "make pattern" you do not use the "extract pattern" tool. That tool will copy all of the patterns on a project board and place them into your library.

To make a pattern, select all elements and group them. Select the group and the make pattern tool should activate. Note, you can not make a pattern from someone else's design.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast