Thread: Importing PDF patterns

Default Importing PDF patterns

I do a lot of wooden toy making and i’m wanting to use my carvewright to start cutting out the pieces. All the patterns are PDF files that I normally glue to the wood and use a jigsaw to cut them out. What is the best way to get these into the software and converted to vector files?

If you can export the image out of the PDF file then you can import the image into Designer. There are programs that will convert PDF images into vectors that then can be saved as DXF files. Then you can import the DXF file into Designer.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Thought it may help to upload a sample. I'd like to trace this in some it is a vector file. Seems like one of the issues I run into is it is not a closed shape. I can get it to a dxf file, but i'm stuck from there

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tongue Drum GHD (1)_001.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	109.7 KB 
ID:	87920

It might be a case by case transfer using different techniques based on complexity of the design.

For the example all I did was import it as an image. Traced it, applied a cut path to it, and deleted the original import to leave only the cut paths. It looks good from the designer viewport.

But I am sure there are half a dozen different methods to do it. I don't have the dxf add-on but I have a feeling that is probably the way to go.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2019-11-23 16_02_05-Window.png  

Quote Originally Posted by oscarl48 View Post
    It might be a case by case transfer using different techniques based on complexity of the design.

For the example all I did was import it as an image. Traced it, applied a cut path to it, and deleted the original import to leave only the cut paths. It looks good from the designer viewport.

But I am sure there are half a dozen different methods to do it. I don't have the dxf add-on but I have a feeling that is probably the way to go.

I was able to cover the image to a DXF and import. what it gave me was a tracing around the border of the thick line. I applied a cut path, specified bit, and then hide cutout to get the image below. My question is will the Carvewright cut this out as a vector or raster? When it tries to cut this out as a raster I end up breaking bits...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled.png 
Views:	12 
Size:	698.6 KB 
ID:	87922

It will not be raster. The bit will cut along the line at the specified depth until it cuts through to final depth.