Thread: Can't perform what I thought would be a very basic task

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Can't perform what I thought would be a very basic task

Hello guys! I'm back on here after several years of "taking a break". Glad to fire up this machine again (and it did just fine. Kept a cover on it ). Also hinting my machine and project designer are of the older variety (Designer 1.187)

So we have a metal shop and I used a machine break to bend a simple U-channel out of 18 gauge stainless flat sheet to hold some mason jars. My intent was to carve the side profile of this channel into 2 pieces of wood and fit the metal into these slots to be mounted on a wall. The stainless is thick so the 90s and hems have radii I can't easily duplicate by hand. I tried cutting a sample piece of it using the scanning tool, but that didn't work so well. All I need is a single path using the 1/16th carving bit to mill 1cm deep. Am I missing something?

Other thing I tried: I have the STL designer and tried to drag the scanned image into sketchup and take the average surface area of what scanning probe got keeping the path less than 1/16". I created a plane out of that and pulled it out to the 1cm thickness. It cuts but the path is still wider than the 1/16". The slot comes out to about as wide as using the 1/8th straight cutting bit. Ideally, I wanted the slot to be as tight as possible and not have to use any filler to compensate. The tighter slot also means better structural integrity for my application

Any help please? I think I'm overthinking this, and surely I'm over-provisioned for such a seemingly simple task?

Edit: Added some photos for context. Can ignore the sliding rails and covering cabinet in the sketchup pic for this.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sketchup.gif   ScanResults.jpg   ScanJig.JPG   RackMinusWood.JPG