Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cut Motor RPM Sensor Fault Error E37-0303

Default Cut Motor RPM Sensor Fault Error E37-0303

Hi - I've been searching through the forums on this one but starting to get fogged in.
    I ran some jobs two days ago, everything was fine. The cut motor has only 47 hours on it.
    Today - I set up a job, and when the set up process spins up the bit to find the z-position, instead of the usual rev'ing of the cut motor I got a ratcheting, clicking sound (on several attempts). I tried to ignore it and proceed with starting the job - when it said "Carving Pattern" clearly nothing was happening and finally the Error E37-0303 comes up saying "Motor RPM Sensor Fault."
    I have run sensor checks...
    1. The cut motor sensor safety switch is working correctly
    2. The "Cut Sensor" does advance when I rotate the spindle by hand.
    3. Under User Tests, #4 Test Cut Motor - the display says "Cut Motor Is Running," but no, everything very quiet.

I looked at the online troubleshooting support page - the flex cable was not running hot the other day. All other suggestions seem not related and I'm up to the point of removing the bottom cover and doing internal inspections.
    Can anyone offer any obvious insights? Thank you.

Update, I seem to have answered my own question.
    I noticed some cracked pieces at the back end of the cut motor.
    Any other history of this kind of failure?
    The unit has not been dropped, at least not in my history.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20191113_153933.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	248.7 KB 
ID:	87880Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20191113_154006.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	582.5 KB 
ID:	87881

Was the cracking at the end of the motor where the flex shaft attaches? I had one like that and I believe it was from how the flex shaft flexes at that point and causes some stress to the end of the cut motor. CarveWright has started putting a wire tie around the flex shaft and frame right where the flex shaft comes out of the back side of the machine.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

I see the broken part is in the REAR of the Cut Motor. Honesty since 2007 this is the First one I have heard of... I have had the Flex End crack on a few cut motors. All were shipped with the Flex still attached causing the problems.

I would call LHR. This is a First....

AL
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

Thanks - yes this is definitely the rear of the cut motor, not the flex end. I have pulled the motor out and the extent of cracking is quite surprising. There is nothing left to support the bearing (the bearing has been removed from this photo, just the shaft end is visible).
    I have reached out to Support - but out of warranty (but only 47 HOURS OF USE!). Does anyone know of re-built options? $230 for a new one is pretty steep. I've been looking at investing in other upgrades like the pro-designer software and the CarveTight chuck and bits, but at some point this is getting a very steep hill to climb; especially given other CNC options out there.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cut Motor End.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	330.5 KB 
ID:	87882

That end of the motor breaking is the first one for me. Prior to it breaking have you noticed a lot of vibration/noise while carving? Quality of your carvings been getting worse? My thought process is leaning towards your quick change chuck going bad and you are getting more machine vibration than normal.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Buy CarveWright

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

To "FWHARRIS" - interesting question - I can't say I have enough experience with the machine to know whether this was excessive vibration. I have been carving some fairly detailed things - "Last Supper" and "Praying Hands" and getting pleasing results. And again - the whole machine has less than 50 hours of use.
    Al mentioned not having seen one of these failures since 2007 - this is a "B" series unit - how far back does that go? (similar batch of faulty motors?)

Quote Originally Posted by BCChad View Post
    To "FWHARRIS" - interesting question - I can't say I have enough experience with the machine to know whether this was excessive vibration. I have been carving some fairly detailed things - "Last Supper" and "Praying Hands" and getting pleasing results. And again - the whole machine has less than 50 hours of use.
    Al mentioned not having seen one of these failures since 2007 - this is a "B" series unit - how far back does that go? (similar batch of faulty motors?)

I do not think it was a bad batch of motor back then. It was more of fatigue of the plastic from all of the vibration caused by the out of balance quick change chuck. I do not recall of hearing of very many since they changed over to the CarveTight chuck.

Did you get this machine used or is it that you have not carved all that much with it?
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Buy CarveWright

I got it from my son, who bought it new but did not use it much. He is quite capable so I am sure he handled it well.

Default Disappointed with LHR Support

Quote Originally Posted by Digitalwoodshop View Post
    I see the broken part is in the REAR of the Cut Motor. Honesty since 2007 this is the First one I have heard of... I have had the Flex End crack on a few cut motors. All were shipped with the Flex still attached causing the problems.

I would call LHR. This is a First....

AL
    Hi Al, thanks for the suggestion. I did call Support this afternoon and am very disappointed with their conclusion - it was a straightforward "sorry, you're out of warranty, there is nothing we can do."
    Obviously there is something they can do if they want to show good will.

I am staring "uphill" at some expenses that I'm no longer sure are worth it. I was thinking of upgrading to the CarveTight chuck ($200), which requires new bits and fittings (around $275-500?), possibly upgrading to the Pro Version of the Software ($300). That's $1,000 of nice to haves, and now $230 for a cut motor, and possibly $100 for a circuit board. And then taxes and shipping.

Then I look at some of the newer CNC options out there that cost much less...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast