Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I could use your design opinions please

Thanks everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by Mikewiz View Post
    Wow! Your painting skills are amazing. Wish I could paint like that.
    Painting a carving for me is almost like a coloring book, because I have lines to follow.
    I couldn't paint that on just a plain flat sheet of paper.

Just remember, you can't screw up because you can always paint over a mistake.
    Relax and go for it.
    I run short on patience sometimes, so I get up, walk away and do something else for a little bit and then come back to it.

I'm not using anything special, fairly cheap brushes and low cost acrylic paints like Folk Art brand.
    Next time I'm in the shop I'll snap a couple photos of what I'm using and the way I do a couple things, maybe it'll help you out a bit.

Justin Pierce, aka spalted
    *Pattern Editor (Probe) * Centerline * Dxf Import * STL Importer * Version 3 Standalone * Advanced 3D * Advanced 2D * Conforming Vectors * Rotary *C Machine *Rock Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by spalted View Post
    I realized that the number of tabs I place is directly proportional to the carve time, this is what over 10 hours of tabs looks like....LOL
    A bit of overkill..........
    The number of tabs shouldn't affect carve time much. Why do you think so?

Quote Originally Posted by DickB View Post
    The number of tabs shouldn't affect carve time much. Why do you think so?

lol.....I just meant that if I'm doing a quick carve I'll gamble and go for the bare minimum least number of tabs I think I can sneak by with, but when my carve times start hitting that 10-20 hour range I get worried and start adding tons of extra tabs because I'm afraid it'll break loose and ruin it.

*Pattern Editor (Probe) * Centerline * Dxf Import * STL Importer * Version 3 Standalone * Advanced 3D * Advanced 2D * Conforming Vectors * Rotary *C Machine *Rock Chuck

looks awesome!

I've been sitting in the shop painting whenever I had a bit a free time, I've also been hacking, coughing and sneezing with some crud that's been going around here, but I did manage to finish it up and give it to my wife as an early Christmas present this morning.

Hung up in its final resting place.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1840.JPG 
Views:	16 
Size:	1.14 MB 
ID:	87977

A little closer shot.

Name:	IMG_1841.JPG 
Views:	24 
Size:	1.66 MB 
ID:	87978

This one that I took in the shop before I gave it to her shows some of the antiquing a little better.
    It's hard to catch a lot of the things I did in a photo.
    The maple I used has some pretty wild color variation so I painted the background behind the lettering, then washed over it with some brown mixed in a glaze, and a few paint spatter fly specks were added, trying to make it look older than it really is.

Name:	IMG_1839.JPG 
Views:	22 
Size:	1.98 MB 
ID:	87976

The aftermath of hours of painting.
    Nothing extravagant, cheap Folk Art paints.
    I use scrap wood, bits of sheet metal and plastic as pallets to mix and blend paint on until I get the color I want.

Name:	IMG_1838.JPG 
Views:	17 
Size:	1.87 MB 
ID:	87975

Most of what I own are just pretty cheap brushes.
    The flat one sitting crosswise on top has been my workhorse for painting carvings for a long time.
    The shape works well for getting reasonable crisp paint line transitions.

Name:	IMG_1828.JPG 
Views:	15 
Size:	1.25 MB 
ID:	87979

This has be a super fun project.
    I haven't had much time to use my Carvewright for much other than some little odds and ends projects for a few years, and it's been many years since I've done any painting of this type, I've really enjoyed myself.

Thanks for the ideas and compliments, and thanks for looking!

You have done a great job and your wife should be very pleased with your results. It is an eye catcher for sure!
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Beautiful project. Really awesome painting skills.

Outstanding work!!! Thanks for keeping us up to date as the project progressed!

Very Nice!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast