Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I could use your design opinions please

Default I could use your design opinions please

My wife loves Christmas so I was thinking about making her something that she can use to decorate with.

I drew up this design, my wife and I both have Norwegian heritage so just for something different I used "Gledelig Jul!" which is the Norwegian equivalent of "Merry Christmas", unless I'm wrong and it's actually a Norwegian curse word........LOL

I wanted this to be a surprise, so I can't ask her opinion, but I just feel like the entire design is lacking something, or maybe I need to go a whole different route, I don't know.
    I would paint this, I'm thinking older style color scheme. More of a burgundy santa suit, ivory trim, greyish beard, maybe gold leaf lettering, that kinda thing........
    But I'm open to ideas, suggestions or criticisms.

I've just hit a wall on this and could use another set of eyes on it.

Thanks in advance

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gledelig Jul.PNG 
Views:	66 
Size:	724.3 KB 
ID:	87875

Justin Pierce, aka spalted
    *Pattern Editor (Probe) * Centerline * Dxf Import * STL Importer * Version 3 Standalone * Advanced 3D * Advanced 2D * Conforming Vectors * Rotary *C Machine *Rock Chuck

I think the design is fine. I would take feather off the santa pattern (turn off Floor Feather if Designer 3).

Agree. Turn off feathering of Santa.
    CarveWright CX Packaged System - starting at $2000
    CarversClub 1 Year Subscription - $150.00/year
    Adv. Support w/out CC membership - $25.00/issue
    CarveWright Community Forum - PRICELESS!

Great design! I love the Santa.
    If you do not have a feather on the inside of the oval I would maybe experiment with that and see if you like the look of it.

I got rid of the santa feather and it does look much better, that was an artifact from a different layout and I didn't think to remove it.
    I like the idea of experimenting with the oval feather too.

Thanks for the input, I appreciate it!
    I've looked at this off and on for a couple days and I needed a fresh set of eyes.
    Simple little changes, but I got stuck in a rut that I couldn't seem to get out of.

I think I'll try moving santa a little left and see if that balances out a bit too.

I still need to pick up some maple to carve this, so I'll be open to suggestions right up until I fire up the machine.

I'll post some photos when I get it done.

Thanks again!

*Pattern Editor (Probe) * Centerline * Dxf Import * STL Importer * Version 3 Standalone * Advanced 3D * Advanced 2D * Conforming Vectors * Rotary *C Machine *Rock Chuck

I noticed a big difference using a separate oval frame pattern. Layering the height really unified the pattern without the feathering gaps.

I beveled the frame edges because I thought it looked better but if you want a straight edge frame let me know. 30 seconds to make one.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2019-11-12 21_45_46-Window.png  
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by oscarl48 View Post
    I noticed a big difference using a separate oval frame pattern. Layering the height really unified the pattern without the feathering gaps.

I beveled the frame edges because I thought it looked better but if you want a straight edge frame let me know. 30 seconds to make one.
    Thanks man!
    I gotta gotta try that, I really like the depth that it gives, it brings the Santa to the front more.
    It's a subtle change but it pulls your eyes toward it and makes it more of a focal point.

The bevels on the oval do make it more finished looking.

All the little details really do add up.
    I'm starting to wonder if I'm just out of practice or if I looked back at my old work over the years if there was a lot of little improvements I could have made.
    I suppose the answer is probably, both.

I glued up some maple planks yesterday and plan to start routing this morning.

I tweaked the design some more since my original post.
    I used the Pattern on Trajectory tool to add rosettes to the oval frame I added them in two sets with different rotation angles, I also used the sweep rounded to give the oval a little profile.
    The Pattern on Trajectory tool gave me fits, I really struggled with it. It has a lot of strange behaviors that I wasn't expecting or understanding, but I got it to work somehow.
    I still don't fully understand how it functions, but this is the first time I've used it too.

And as always I fight with and swear at the whole Group/clip/merge process. I never have been able to wrap my mind around it.
    My past and current process involves trial and error mixed with large amounts of profanity and tantrum throwing, maybe not the most efficient strategy, but it does seem to always work.

Here is the most recent iteration.
    My finishing plan will be pretty time consuming, I think.
    While it's carving I will be experimenting with some glazing techniques, some metallic finishes, and some antiquing waxes.
    Not sure what I'm getting myself into, I have it all planned out in my head what I want it to look like, I'm just not sure how to do it yet.
    But I would assume the carve time on this will be long, so I have some time to teach myself how to do what I'm thinking.

I'll post some finished photos, unless it turns into a miserable failure, then I'll just lie about it and say I changed my mind......lol

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gledelig Jul updated.PNG 
Views:	26 
Size:	928.4 KB 
ID:	87941

Looks good! I know what you mean about the group/clip/merge thing. It's always a trial and error procedure for me. Please post a picture of the finished project.

Looks great, can't wait to see the finished product.
    Rick H

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast