Thread: File is invalid or corrupted

Default File is invalid or corrupted

Recently when I go to import a stl file into STL Importer I get the message "File is invalid or corrupted". This is happening to about half of the STL files that I have, many of them I have imported before with no problem. I can open the files in Meshlab with no problem and with making no adjustments to them just save as a stl file then STL Importer works as it should. Does anyone have a clue as to what is happening?

I've gotten that fault with broken meshes before but if you have previously opened the stl files then I am unsure what its causing it.

By broken mesh I mean missing verts (holes) in the visible part of the model.

Good luck and let us know what you find.

I have a feeling it may be due to an update that happened automatically. I have a MacBook that updated, not to Catalina but just updated High Sierria. The weird thing is if I download the stl file from where I bought it, it still shows as invalid or corrupt, but Meshlab does not have a problem with it and like I said before do nothing but save it as a stl file and it works fine. I was just hoping someone had an easy fix.

I know this is an older post but...
    I always experience this or worse yet it loads and after scaling it and slicing if needed it crashes with a runtime error. I've tried all the workarounds- meshlab, 3dbuilder fix, reducing file size, turning off auto preview, increasing cache, etc. Its crazy that I spent so much on the machine and every software add-on and the best it can do is occasionally get me to a stl->carverwright compatible file. I just don't understand why this is not fixed but the add-on is still sold. You can try and claim its because the stl is bad but everything else opens it regardless of size, with mesh holes, etc.

Are you on a windows or mac computer? Only ask because I have never used a mac and have zero input there.

Just as an aside. Not all STL files are the same. Not all models are the same. Not all programs can read all STL format files.

Things to look at on the model are how are the facet normals are oriented, as well as how the vertex lines are situated (quads, tris, n-gons, broken mesh). Some software is not very picky (meshlabs) and can fix/convert/resolve some of those issues.

There are STL files that I have problems opening with Z-Brush and even Blender every once in a while. I have to take out meshlabs to try and fix those problems when that happens. Sometimes I have convert the model to quads and then back to tris to get new mesh geometry.

PC user. I’ve opened in MeshLab and reduced the polys but get the same results.

The software behavior I get is:

If the file is too big (> 100 megs) Designer crashes

If the mesh is corrupted (broken mesh, overlapping verts, normals flipped) I sometimes get corrupt file before Designer crashes.

Normally I would ask if you could do forensics on the mesh to see you had any verts overlapping, flipped normals but if you have imported them successfully previously I am stumped.