Thread: Spindle shaft

Default Spindle shaft

My machine started making a weird vibrating noise. I replaced the motor brushes and attempted to take the spindle out of the shaft to lubricate it and it would not come clear from the motor. I detached the sheath and attempted remove it and it is stuck. Any suggestions on how to get it to come loose? Also since replacing the brushes, my motor spins up really fast and loud at the beginning of every cut and throws a check cut motor error. It then carves fine.

This could be the same issue. The cable may that a broken wire which is rubbing the sheath and causing the run up to be hampered a bit, causing the message. I would check the brushes to make sure they move freely in their holders, just to be sure. Remove the retaining screw on the motor end of the sheath, give the sheath a turn and pull it out. A broke wire on the cable may keep it from being remove easily. With the sheath out of machine the cable should pull out of one end. If not the cable is junk, and in my world junk is junk and you can't wreck junk, clamp a one end down well, and give the sheath a pull, you may have to pull like you mean it.

I had the sheath off and nothing was broken. I yanked hard on the cable and no go. I stopped for fear I would mess up the motor end.

I took the motor out of the machine and sprayed some wd-40 into the end of the motor. Then I used some pliers to grab the shaft right at the motor end twisted/pried to break it loose. Once out I did find a wire end that was sticking out from the rest. I filed it down smooth and have not had any more issues with it.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

I have an old motor here that I can view the cable end. What I see is just a square opening on the end, but I think there is a ridge where the square stops. The square looks to be a threaded insert, install into the motor shaft. This may be the issue. The motor itself seems built well enough to take the stress you may have to apply. A good penetrating oil is a great place to start, but I'm thinking a good tug is going to be the answer at the end. There is about a 1/2 inch of hole behind the insert where a cable wire could snap and hang up. I also have worked the cables to make them last a bit longer. Gives me a bit more time to carve while waiting parts, if still working will run until failure, which may not happen, but by then I have a part on hand to get it back up and running quickly.