Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 64

Thread: slipping material

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Harrrisburg Area
    Posts
    37

    Default slipping material

    Hi

    My material is slipping when when cutting. It did not slip when I carved. I am using pine for a practice cut which could be part of the problem. I also see this with other hard woods such as when I do an edge route.
    The rollers were cleaned
    the encoder tracking wheel seems to be ok
    Y axis travel is 15.528"(-.078" to 15.468")
    the y belt was recently tightened (per the carvewright tech support suggestion, who sent me a video)... I have to run more tests..
    I recently upgraded the firmware with the latest file which got resolved the insure sliding plate is set message.

    Does this problem look like a y axis issue from the photo and is the message in the 3rd photo giving any clues?

    Thank you for any insight and help.

    John

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20191027_132357.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	1.10 MB 
ID:	87855Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20191027_132327.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	705.5 KB 
ID:	87854Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20191030_150003.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	1.17 MB 
ID:	87856

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    The Great Texas Gulf Coast
    Posts
    5,373

    Default

    What is your head pressure?
    CarveWright CX Packaged System - starting at $2000
    CarversClub 1 Year Subscription - $150.00/year
    Adv. Support w/out CC membership - $25.00/issue
    CarveWright Community Forum - PRICELESS!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Harrrisburg Area
    Posts
    37

    Default

    I did not measure, but the roller sensors show that they are enguaged

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    NE PA USA
    Posts
    9,928

    Default

    What are your sled tails length. Sure looks like 3.5 inches.... I always do 4 inches... 3.5 inches lets the board "Tighter" on that roller "EDGE"... I like the extra 1/2 inch...

    I would try the same project again with a set of 4 inch ears... When the board it at the 3.5 inch point it can "RELEASE" enough pressure on the board to let it loosen up on the BRASS ROLLER leading to the result you see....

    And Edge Routing is not the machines strong point...

    And you have masking tape on the bottom of the board so the brass roller has something bit into?

    AL
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

    Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

    www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

    www.AccountabilityTag.com


  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Harrrisburg Area
    Posts
    37

    Default

    I do use tape on the base, but am not sure if it was on that run. Good suggestion for the extra 1/2" on the sides. The problem did happen at the edge of the piece. I'm also going to check the outter support roller. The problem did not occur with the carving, but there seems to be more lateral force applied when cutting.

    Thanks,
    John

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Kaukauna, Wisconsin
    Posts
    502

    Default

    Yes the clutch is behind the handle. There are shims behind the handle. They are between the handle and spring and are used to push the spring forward putting pressure on the crank torque plate. The more pressure on the plate the clutch will take more load before it kicks out. Here is a link to the pasts list and drawings http://www.carvewright.com/assets/se...ist_manual.pdf. great break down drawing to see how it all goes together.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Harrrisburg Area
    Posts
    37

    Default

    many thanks again!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Harrrisburg Area
    Posts
    37

    Default

    Head Pressure is now 115 lbs. a little more than the 90 lbs specified for the max.

    It was the clutch. Rather than shimming, I took a flat head screw driver and expanded the spring. (I may have to shim in the near future).

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Northern Colorado
    Posts
    7,796

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by the_skeptic View Post
    Head Pressure is now 115 lbs. a little more than the 90 lbs specified for the max.

    It was the clutch. Rather than shimming, I took a flat head screw driver and expanded the spring. (I may have to shim in the near future).
    115 lbs is to high. You stand the chance of stripping the X drive gears with it being that high.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

    Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group


    All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Harrrisburg Area
    Posts
    37

    Default

    Yes... I thought that the roller sensor reading was using a minimum pressure when it showed engaged

    the head pressure is only in the 50's for the rubber belt. I'll need 75-90.

    I use dry graphite rather than the lubes on the posts and the acme screws. I'll also reset the alignment.

    Thank you!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •