Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: slipping material

I understand. I have it under 90 lbs, so I think that I'm ready to run a project as a test. Thanks!

It looks like you have carved across nearly the entire with of the board, leaving only a fraction of an inch of material under the rollers when cutting.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	adjustable sled.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	334.0 KB 
ID:	87867

I have virtually eliminated problems like this since using a sled, which I use for every project 12" wide or less. My sled is 3/4" plywood with 1" rails and 4" end caps. In addition to adhering to the 7" rule, the rails ensure good contact with the rollers even if the entire width of the project board is carved away. It keeps the cutting bit away from the brass roller which otherwise can induce vibration and cause tracking errors. The mass of the sled also reduces vibration.

nice setup. Thanks. I should get back to using a sled again. I was getting errors when the sensor detected different colors etc. It looks like you align the material to bottom left and the sensor and you respond to the alignment prompts to start at the corner rather than centering it? Do you specify the material size as the actual material width and length ?

The head pressure on the front roller is 60 and the rear rollers is about 90. I'm not sure if this is an indication of some contributing factor.

I draw a rectangle 1" top and bottom from the virtual board and 4" left and right and place my project within the rectangle. I set the machine to never stay under the rollers (but of course it will) and yes use Place On Corner.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	layout.JPG 
Views:	12 
Size:	96.8 KB 
ID:	87874

So, the carvewright finds that bottom left corner at the inner width of the endcap (4 inches to the right of the sled's left most edge). Since you draw your design with a 4 inch spacing on the left it knows to avoid cutting into the left end cap and does not care about the space to the right. The top of design and material to be cut has to aligned to the top surface of the rails and end caps. Do you specify material thickness as the thickness of the material to be cut? Thanks

Yes, specify board thickness to match your project board, not the sled.

I have the base and front and rear panels off and its unplugged.

The 2 rod connecting to the 2 45 degree bevel gears has side to side motion. There only seems to be a screw and washer that holds the rod against the gears. Is there any thing else that I can do to limit the side to side motion besides tightening the 2 small screws with the washers? Thanks.

Thanks. I'm going insure that there is not something else happening with the carvewright and will inspect, clean, and re-align the posts. I noticed that my last sled end plate had the bit cut into it so it may have slipped even with the sled.

Quote Originally Posted by the_skeptic View Post
    I have the base and front and rear panels off and its unplugged.

The 2 rod connecting to the 2 45 degree bevel gears has side to side motion. There only seems to be a screw and washer that holds the rod against the gears. Is there any thing else that I can do to limit the side to side motion besides tightening the 2 small screws with the washers? Thanks.

As per the CW recommendations there needs to be some play/movement in the rod.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

that makes sense, since the plastic retainer has that gap. thanks

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast