Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Key hole function

1. Default Key hole function

Hi All,

I was trying to use the key hole on the back of my board, however when I go to save it, I get error message not licensed? What doe that mean? Do I have to purchase this feature and what is the cost? I appreciate any help in this matter.

Loriblackdog

Yes the keyhole function is an add on that needs to be purchased. The cost is around 50 dollars and comes with a bit, I believe. A new bit would run you about 30 dollars, so with the bit it is a pretty good deal.

Just trying to understand this. The bit that you are talking about is the one that is shaped like a bell and it is plunged into the back of the board for about an inch so in length so that a screw head will fit into the slot so it can be hung on a wall?

That's the one. I use mine a lot and have replaced the original with a 1/2" shank. No special reason other than it's an easy change over from the CW bit, and I had one as part of my router set.

I have used keyhole bit by creating a line horizontal to the top, (about 1-1/4" long) setting an appropriate depth and selecting the 1/8" cutting bit. Now when it is time to cut this line, insert the keyhole bit. You now have a hole at each end of this line and can level the project that way.

I made a little jig for doing a key hole, I use a small router by hand, I can make a key hole in about 2 mins using this jig start to finish. I can post pics if anyone is interested.
    CarverJerry

ver. 1.188 Win 7- 64b with 6 GB ram @ 2.8Ghz and dual 1Tb hard drives. Rock Chuck & Ringneck vacuum system hooked up to a Harbor Freight large vacuum. Center line text, conforming vectors.

Jerry, I would appreciate pics.

Same here Jerry, thank you.

Default Keyhole jig

Here are a few pics of how I do my key holes. I mark a centerline and place my jig and clamp it, run my router and I'm done. Quick and easy. I made the jig to fit my small router, I had to add a bit of tape (black duct tape) because my opening was just a bit to large, but again being a machinist for over 40 years the wife says if I don't make it perfect then I'm not pleased. Hope this helps.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0652.JPG   IMG_0653.JPG  
    CarverJerry

ver. 1.188 Win 7- 64b with 6 GB ram @ 2.8Ghz and dual 1Tb hard drives. Rock Chuck & Ringneck vacuum system hooked up to a Harbor Freight large vacuum. Center line text, conforming vectors.

Jerry, looks like a really useful jig. Need to make me one.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast