Thread: Acrylic

Default Acrylic

I am carving numbers into clear acrylic which is 1/4"x1.5"x3". Using my 90 degree bit, it is going well but I would prefer a smoother finish as I am painting the carved numbers. Any other recommendation other than the 60-90degree bits. I keep hearing about drag bits. Is this something we can use with the CW? Thank you in advance.

Joe Lovchik has said he has used one. I think you need to un do the flex shaft.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Thank you, I will contact him.

I'm not familiar with a drag bit, but drag knives are used for vinyl cutting in non-carewright applications.

I've not cut much acrylic in my Carvewright, but for other machines if given a choice I order single flute "O" flute tooling. I don't have a part number off hand, but I know Onsrud and other make them.
    But plenty of times I've used what I had on hand.

If you can using something in HSS or cobalt, it takes a much keener edge than carbide so you'll get a cleaner route
    Also a single or two flute cutter, less is more for flute count has worked better for me in the past.

But if you are needing 90 or 60 degree cutters it may be a little more difficult to find those in HSS.
    If you are doing enough volume to justify the cost, there are v-bit insert cutters available, that you might be able to use HSS instead of carbide inserts in.
    But unless you are doing production it might not be worth the expense and effort to hunt everything down.

Not much of a direct answer I guess........

Justin Pierce, aka spalted
    *Pattern Editor (Probe) * Centerline * Dxf Import * STL Importer * Version 3 Standalone * Advanced 3D * Advanced 2D * Conforming Vectors * Rotary *C Machine *Rock Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by spalted View Post
    I'm not familiar with a drag bit, but drag knives are used for vinyl cutting in non-carewright applications.

I've not cut much acrylic in my Carvewright, but for other machines if given a choice I order single flute "O" flute tooling. I don't have a part number off hand, but I know Onsrud and other make them.
    But plenty of times I've used what I had on hand.

If you can using something in HSS or cobalt, it takes a much keener edge than carbide so you'll get a cleaner route
    Also a single or two flute cutter, less is more for flute count has worked better for me in the past.

But if you are needing 90 or 60 degree cutters it may be a little more difficult to find those in HSS.
    If you are doing enough volume to justify the cost, there are v-bit insert cutters available, that you might be able to use HSS instead of carbide inserts in.
    But unless you are doing production it might not be worth the expense and effort to hunt everything down.

Not much of a direct answer I guess........
    Drag bit.... https://www.amazon.com/DIAMOND-SPRIN...a-568021582982
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Very interesting, thank you fwharris!
    Now I have a solution to a problem I didn't even know I had.
    I might have to dream up a problem so I can try one of those.

Justin Pierce, aka spalted
    *Pattern Editor (Probe) * Centerline * Dxf Import * STL Importer * Version 3 Standalone * Advanced 3D * Advanced 2D * Conforming Vectors * Rotary *C Machine *Rock Chuck

I will look into this. If I go with it I will show the outcome. Thank you both very much.

Mike, can you post a picture of what you are doing? Is the acrylic you are using casted or extruded? Not sure how deep you are making your numbers but the extruded acrylic will want to melt as the casted will cut cleaner, such as what is used in making of lithophanes.
    CarverJerry

ver. 1.188 Win 7- 64b with 6 GB ram @ 2.8Ghz and dual 1Tb hard drives. Rock Chuck & Ringneck vacuum system hooked up to a Harbor Freight large vacuum. Center line text, conforming vectors.