Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Designer 188 / GUI.exe crash

Default Designer 188 / GUI.exe crash

I have a new installation of gui.exe, version .188. The software opens (run as Administrator) and performs well until I open the PATTERN LIST or PATTERN TOOL. The software pauses for a few seconds then crashes, closing down completely.
    I have completely uninstalled and reinstalled repeatedly, with the same behavior. I have downloaded multiple times.
    I deleted the favorites.mpn file each time, the one that installs on startup, about 6kb.
    I called tech support, who was unable to get me past this problem, but who verified I have a valid license.

I am running Windows 10, latest updates. Newer computer, plenty of resources. All of that said, I have successfully installed the software on a second computer and it runs fine there, no crashes at all.

Looking for help, new ideas, new eyes on this problem, thanks.

Adding more information ... I just uninstalled gui and wiped "LHR" references from the windows registry and reinstalled. On startup, the program worked correctly. The PATTERN LIST opened and operated correctly (! Yes, a good surprise). I saved a project, shut down the software. On starting up a second time, as soon as I opened the PATTERN LIST, the software crashed.

Go to HELP > DISABLE FILE PREVIEW.
    CarveWright CX Packaged System - starting at $2000
    CarversClub 1 Year Subscription - $150.00/year
    Adv. Support w/out CC membership - $25.00/issue
    CarveWright Community Forum - PRICELESS!

If you come up with The files required for this program have been moved or are missing message

follow these instructions:
    http://support.carvewright.com/files-are-missing/

Default Didn't understand "HELP/DISABLE FILE PREVIEW"

Hi Lynn, thanks but I didn't understand. I don't see such an entry in my HELP menu. I attached a screen shot of my help menu...
    And to your second post, I am not getting any error reported about a missing file. The application just totally crashes and disappears.

Quote Originally Posted by lynnfrwd View Post
    Go to HELP > DISABLE FILE PREVIEW.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Screenshot 2019-10-02 20.42.07.png  

File preview is only in the Pro version. Try increasing your rendering cache size. It is found in the "preference" settings under the "edit" tab. Default is 16MB, try 256mb or higher.

If you have a large amount of patterns in the pattern tool (favorite) try removing those that you do not use that often. Also make sure you only show one favorites and basic pattern.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Thanks, "fwharris," I do have the cache set at 256MB - still crashing. Also, I am using the default "favorites.mpn" file, 6KB that is created when the software first runs, so there are no additional entries in that pattern database. Can you think of anything else?

Quote Originally Posted by fwharris View Post
    File preview is only in the Pro version. Try increasing your rendering cache size. It is found in the "preference" settings under the "edit" tab. Default is 16MB, try 256mb or higher.

If you have a large amount of patterns in the pattern tool (favorite) try removing those that you do not use that often. Also make sure you only show one favorites and basic pattern.

Quote Originally Posted by BCChad View Post
    Thanks, "fwharris," I do have the cache set at 256MB - still crashing. Also, I am using the default "favorites.mpn" file, 6KB that is created when the software first runs, so there are no additional entries in that pattern database. Can you think of anything else?
    You have already done the other things I would suggest doing. Sorry as I do not know what else to mention.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Try calling LHR 713-473-6572

I finally have a breakthrough in my problem with Designer (gui.exe) crashing when I attempt to view the Pattern List.
    It is firewall related. I went into RegEdit and searched for gui.exe, and came up with this registry entry...
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\S haredAccess\Parameters\FirewallPolicy\FirewallRule s
    ... which says…

v2.30|Action=Allow|Active=FALSE|Dir=In|Protocol=17 |Profile=Domain|App=C:\ProgramData\CarveWright\gui .exe|Name=gui.exe|

This entry seems to say that "Allowing" Gui.exe was set to FALSE. When and how this got set is a mystery to me. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the application many times and only once in awhile did the message pop up asking me whether to allow this program.
    Anyway, I deleted the entry from the registry and the Pattern List is now working without crashing. Yes there must be a way to configure this without having to use RegEdit, but this is about the extent of my knowledge of finding Firewall configuration options in Windows.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast