Thread: Importing a png.

Default Importing a png.

I have been trying, with no success, to import a png and from that import cut out the outline of that image. Can anyone help me get it done? Thanks.

What part are you having problems with?

Can you post a picture of the image you are trying to use?

Some problems arise from complex and/or low resolution images? Sometimes its just designer not liking an image but there are usually workarounds for that.

Quote Originally Posted by oscarl48 View Post
    What part are you having problems with?

Can you post a picture of the image you are trying to use?

Some problems arise from complex and/or low resolution images? Sometimes its just designer not liking an image but there are usually workarounds for that.
    Here is an example:Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pumpkin copy.png 
Views:	16 
Size:	932.0 KB 
ID:	87742

After you get the image into designer to make it a pattern, put the pattern on your board and size it to what you want. Next do an "outline" of the pattern and use the cut path tool. If you do not want to carve the pattern, just cut out the shape, delete the pattern so it leaves just the outline with the cut path.

You need to make sure you do not have the background included in the image. It can be removed in the import window by using the lowering arrow..
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Thank you. One question. The stock is 1/4 inch thick. I will be using a jig. How do I limit the depth of cut?

Thank you for sharing the image. This is a case of complexity in the image. It looks simple but when you try to port it into designer you get the shadows, the highlights, and the grain of the wood as well as the different shades in the background. Not a simple image. If you can get images using primary colors only its much easier.

Your options are to clean it up in a 2d paint program or you can port it into designer and trace the outline that you want and then apply a cut path. The images below are 1. importing the image into designer 2. putting the pattern into a project and sizing it to what you need and trace the outline using the connected lines tool (or spline tool) 3. Use the cut path tool and establish your depth of cut.

You can change the board setting to 1/4in acknowledging you are using a jig. The minimum board thickness is .5in so your jig has to be at least another 1/4in.

For the gray beards, if incorrect please correct.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2019-09-21 22_40_12-Window.png   2019-09-21 22_50_29-Window.png   2019-09-21 22_51_15-Window.png   2019-09-21 22_57_25-Window.png  

Quote Originally Posted by woodman87 View Post
    Thank you. One question. The stock is 1/4 inch thick. I will be using a jig. How do I limit the depth of cut?
    Set your project board thickness in designer to 0.250". This tells designer when you set your cut path to only cut .250" deep.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.