Thread: cone chalk holder for a game room pool table

Ozark, Alabama, United States, 108704179153666, Ozark, Alabama

Default cone chalk holder for a game room pool table

Does anyone know where I can get a good pattern to make a chalk holder for the cone shape chalk ?

Here is a fast project mpc. Had some fun and did a quick render. The patterns do not have the drill holes. I was just playing on placement but should be easy to add. It is a perfect blank slate for additional patterns for decorations as seen with the star.

The mpc is in designer 2.xx.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2019-09-08 15_36_24-CarveWright - [chalk holder.mpc].png   chalk holder matcap.png   chalk holder.jpg   2019-09-08 16_47_08-CarveWright - [chalk holder.mpc].png  

Attached Files Attached Files

Great job Oscar, not to beat up on the design, as it does seem to have most of what is needed and I can not open the mpc to view, so I am going off the pictures uploaded. The recessed ring should be of a cove design for cleaning purposes with no shape corners for the powder to lie in. Not sure if this will help at all, but looking around the diameter the cones measures 4.5" with a height of 5.25". The rabbit should be fairly deep and most likely done with a larger router, keeping in mind the pressures that will be applied during use. I personally would prefer a dovetail joint to mount the two pieces together and have strength to hold for years to come.

There is a table top design out there as well. Same design, but just a disc with a full circle cove.

Great points.

The recessed ring is 4.75" in diameter to accept the 4.5 chalk. I ended up using two circles with carve regions to make the recessed ring so really easy to change depth and diameter. I had it at .1" but that was for my own aesthetics. It makes sense for it be a cove design. Some sanding would fix that.

The rabbet cut is pretty shallow so the strength is dependent on the screws for strength.

Otherwise nothing really to it. A band saw and router table would be a lot faster in my opinion but I know not everyone has one.

P.S Forgot to mention with the design that you need a dowel in the center of the shelf to hold the chalk.
    Last edited by oscarl48; 09-09-2019 at 08:02 AM.

I thought I would try to make a tabletop model. I think the dowel that is needed is 1 inch dia. about 4 inches long not adding for recessed amount.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails TABLE TOP CONE TALC HOLDER BASE.png  
    Attached Files Attached Files

Very nice.

8. Default

any one ever try t o make a pool stick ? i dont see to much about it at all with carvewright

Fairly simple to do but not the right tool for the job in my opinion.

Can be done as a two sided carve or two halves to glue up. You really have to find the right lumber as well to find the best straight grain for the cue.

Just have to find the correct dimensions.

This was just a quick mock up to see feasibility. The dimensions are wrong but wanted to see how long it would take to carve. Anywhere from 4 to 6 hours based on lumber dimensions for this configuration.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2020-03-23 21_40_46-Window.png