Thread: Rounding the corners of dice - how would you do this?

Default Rounding the corners of dice - how would you do this?

The edges of these dice were actually cut using a pantogragh overheard router and a 45 degree chamfer bit. The indexing pin was moved in a circular pattern and the dice were rotated on each face as the edges were shaped.

It seems that I should be able to mount the dice on a sled/carrier board and use a chamfer bit to move about the top edge and accomplish the same task. I would have to rotate the dice so that all 6 faces are machined but it seems like in should be doable. The key is to figure out what diameter of circle is needed to face the edge and what the cutting depth should be for a 4.5" cube.

Any one ever done anything like this or have any suggestions on how to do so?

Greg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails rounded edge dice.jpg  

What you want to do is actually very difficult as it requires accuracy which is not easy to get from the machine. Repeatability for all six sides, in my opinion, can only be done if you make a jig which allows for the cube to be reoriented between carves without removing the jig from the machine.

See: https://forum.carvewright.com/showth...265#post172265

I agree. I looked at the string you sent. Is the 1/64" error introduced do to indexing off of the edge? Was thinking if I index off of each face it wound eliminate this error. Another thought was to use an oversized blank and do and internal cut and then cut the faces away. This may require a significant amount of waste so my be too costly depending on the would I use.

The 1/64th was because each face edge was also being cut down 1/64th as the sphere was being carved. The cube was getting smaller as the procedure progressed.