Thread: how to get rid of a cut line from stl conversion

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default how to get rid of a cut line from stl conversion

Hi All. I just installed and downloaded an STL file to the patterns. I am getting a deep square cut around the pattern which seems to be the outside of the uploaded STL. Any idea how to get rid of this carve path. The pattern does not have any list items so i can't just delete it. The pattern editor shows this as an unsupported file. i attached a screen shot.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Loon test1.jpg  

The stl has the background area in it and not just the dish? If you have the pattern editor add on you can edit the pattern. In the pattern list, left click on the pattern and then right click and select to open it with the pattern editor. After you get it opened in the editor use the magic wand tool to select the background area and then delete it.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Default waterfall pattern

I cant seem to get rid of the background cut line. Can anybody help?
    Attached Files Attached Files

Ensure feather is set to none and use optimization to best. No cut line.

Quote Originally Posted by joepei View Post
    I cant seem to get rid of the background cut line. Can anybody help?
    The pattern is in a dish so the lowering function does not work in the import window. Contact the maker to see if they can remove the background rectangle.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Buy CarveWright

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

If it is an STL, then this behavior is expected for negative space patterns. Its the way designer interprets the pattern from the 3d model. So even if you remove the square you will still have this effect.

I made a quick example negative space pattern and ported it into designer. It has the same pattern behavior. Changing the feathering to none and bit optimization to best removes the outline.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2019-09-23 19_13_21-Window.png   2019-09-23 19_18_39-Window.png   2019-09-23 19_19_02-Window.png  

I "think" the background he is talking about is what I have marked in red... Since the image/pattern itself is in a dish it is lower than the outer background area around it. When trying use the lowering arrow in the import window the image is removed leaving the background area. I even tried inverting the pattern.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pattern import.PNG  
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Buy CarveWright