Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Can I see dimensions on an imported STL file?

Default Can I see dimensions on an imported STL file?

I am a newb.
    Is there a button I can hit on the pro3 software that will show dimensions on an imported STL file?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CW LP top.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	157.1 KB 
ID:	88081

This is not a flat surface, there is a contour to it. The center is about 5/8" thick, while the outside edges taper to more like 1/4" thick. It won't upload as is, I'm hoping if I see some measurements, I'd maybe have a chance of figuring out what's going on.
    The imported files don't seem to react like the actual mpc files do. Can anyone please point me in the right direction?

The reason I'm trying to import STL files is because I now realize the scanning tool will never be able to scan something as large as what I need to scan.
    For example, I built my scanning sled the maximum width, and I can see it will never be able to scan something that's 12" to 13" wide.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CW LP body in sled.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	218.7 KB 
ID:	88082

During the import process you can see and change dimensions in the importer.

Yes, very wide items are hard to get a scan on. As you have found out you need enough clearance for the probe to fit even if you make the sled the full width of the machine. You can go a bit over the 14 1/2" width. I am not sure if you will gain any by taking the sliding plate out of the machine.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

I'll have another look at that importer. Thanks

Well, I did some looking and some learning, got further than I've ever been before. However, I'm still having a lot of trouble up loading any file to the memory card that's over about 2000 kb in size. They just keeps crapping out on me. Any suggestions?

In the preference settings increase the rendering cache size up to at least 256mb, the higher the better. Under the help tab turn off "file preview".. If you have a large amount of patterns or a lot of large stl files in your pattern list directory, favorites, try moving some out to another location on your computer.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Buy CarveWright

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Thank you for the advice.
    The directory is 23.5MB and 14 files after blowing away anything I didn't need to keep. File preview was already off, and cache was set to 256. I just took it up to 512, think I'll go back and bump it up to 1024 or more.

Edit: looks like 999 is the max for cache, so that's where I left it.
    My wife suggests turning off my firewall during uploads. I can't see that having any affect, but I'll try almost anything once.

with the firewall off and the other changes made, the upload crashed at 41%. It is a big file, 2600KB

Is that an upload to the memory card for doing a carving or loading it into the stl importer?
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Buy CarveWright

It's the upload to the memory card to do the carving. I got the importer all figured out. (I think)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast