Thread: scanning the outside for a cutout

Default scanning the outside for a cutout

I was looking to make multiple furniture pieces and though it would be easier to use the carvewright to cut out the pieces. Is it possible to just scan the outside of a piece as to cut out the item that I want?
    I have not used the probe before so don't really know what it is capable of.
    Thanks

The scanning probe will scan the complete piece. Once scanned you can use the outline of the piece for cut outs.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

You could also just take a picture. Best to be as far away as possible and zoom in. Put the object on a white background. Raise or lower to remove the background when importing into Designer.

Not sure what you are wanting to duplicate. The probe does a good job but has limitations. I have used it to replicate unique appliques with good results but have had to do a lot of cleanup in pattern editor. The thickness of your desired piece is what I have found is the biggest limitation for scanning, which matches the same for carving(without the long bit) but that is the a factor of any CNC. The only problem I have had was after the scan the actual size that I ended up with as a pattern was not a perfect match. Had to keep adjusting to get to the correct size and proportion. As above, if you only need the shape/outline a picture can provide that.
    Good luck, Rick H

I only need an outline of the item, I have just the basic software, do I need more than that to accomplish it with a picture>

Quote Originally Posted by tablerock View Post
    I only need an outline of the item, I have just the basic software, do I need more than that to accomplish it with a picture>
    If you have “ import to trace “ , take a picture as square as you can, imported, trace the outline and then you can cutout them very easily, here is a sample I did to recreate a saw handle. I did a test run in foam, then the final when it fitted.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 3D15B137-238A-441C-8DE1-05BA4B3B0390.jpeg   CA9B488C-DCEF-4DAE-8363-A38D33825DD7.jpeg   8C84C8D4-8E98-4607-B593-EFF6396CD21F.jpeg  
    My Shop 1044

CarveWright START U Team Member

V - 1.187 and 3.0 too
    With the DC Insert," dust all gone"
    CarveWright Customer Documentation http://www.carvewright.com/2010CWweb/maintenance.htm
    CarveWright Tips and Tricks http://www.carvewright.com/2010CWweb/tips.htm
    www.customcarvingsbyperry.com
    I have often wondered why it is that
    Conservatives are called the "right" and Liberals are called the "left".
    "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of
    the fool to the left."

I am using 1.187 and the 'import to trace' doesn't ring a bell. Guess the question is what is the version you are using? You mention the basic so I'm guessing you are at 1.187 since it comes with the machine.
    Rick H

Quote Originally Posted by want2b View Post
    I am using 1.187 and the 'import to trace' doesn't ring a bell. Guess the question is what is the version you are using? You mention the basic so I'm guessing you are at 1.187 since it comes with the machine.
    Rick H
    I am using 3.103 and the import a tracing image is a add on package, I have them for a while.
    My Shop 1044

CarveWright START U Team Member

V - 1.187 and 3.0 too
    With the DC Insert," dust all gone"
    CarveWright Customer Documentation http://www.carvewright.com/2010CWweb/maintenance.htm
    CarveWright Tips and Tricks http://www.carvewright.com/2010CWweb/tips.htm
    www.customcarvingsbyperry.com
    I have often wondered why it is that
    Conservatives are called the "right" and Liberals are called the "left".
    "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of
    the fool to the left."