Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: carved scan coming out small

Default carved scan coming out small

i have scanned a dash vent from a 31 ford. The scan came out well and the carving looks good. The problem is the carving is coming out 1/8" smaller then the original. It looks like the carving bit is not offset and is carving the cut path to the outside of the bit instead of the inside. i have not had this problem in other scanned carves. Do i just adjust the size of the scan up an 1/8" to compensate?
    Joe

Did you "flip" the cut path in the cut path settings?
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

No but i did save it directly from scan into the carve pattern tool list, so no cut path option was involved that i saw.

Quote Originally Posted by joepei View Post
    i have scanned a dash vent from a 31 ford. The scan came out well and the carving looks good. The problem is the carving is coming out 1/8" smaller then the original. It looks like the carving bit is not offset and is carving the cut path to the outside of the bit instead of the inside. i have not had this problem in other scanned carves. Do i just adjust the size of the scan up an 1/8" to compensate?
    Joe

I was reading your statement as saying you were cutting it out.

Does the pattern dimensions match the actual scanned item size or does it show to the 1/8" smaller. If smaller you can set the size in the dimensions box in the Pattern editor and in Designer.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Buy CarveWright

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Default carve scan coming out small

I am just getting back to this vent. I tried adjusting the size in designer, but when i try to save it, the program changes the size to a larger one again. I have attached a picture of the MPC. If you look at the rectangle that indicates the size, it is bigger than the scan. I think this is why the carve is coming out small? Any thoughts? The actual carve is coming out 6.0625' x 8.75. It should be 6.375 x 8.875.
    Thanks
    Attached Files Attached Files

Are you doing this as a 2 sided carve like it is in the file you posted? If so, Increase your board size it looks like one side is masking out the other side. When I hide the back side the front side looks a lot better size wise.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Buy CarveWright

Default ford vent

Yes i am. So I deleted the back side and adjusted the size. When i highlight the image the size square still lines up on the left and top facing, but is off the carve on the bottom and right side.

Quote Originally Posted by joepei View Post
    Yes i am. So I deleted the back side and adjusted the size. When i highlight the image the size square still lines up on the left and top facing, but is off the carve on the bottom and right side.
    I am not sure what you are seeing off of the board. Here is my view. Is there a reason you are making your board size so small? I would suggest going a bit bigger to insure it fits. How are you planning on cutting these out of the board?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ford vent.PNG  
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Buy CarveWright

Default vent scan size

I enlarged the board size. If you open the mpc in the software and click on the vent the box that gives the size comes up. That box is not matching up with the carving edges on the right and bottom edges. could this be causing the carving to be coming out smaller than the dimensions in the box?
    If i can get the size corrected i am going to flip and attach the scan for the back to the carve. Because it is a vent the back which matches the curve of the dash cuts right through to expose the vent openings i am going to put some tabs to hold the piece in place. It worked fine on my first carve except the size is smaller than the original.

It might be your pattern. This is what I am seeing with I do an outline and cutpath.. left side is squared and right side is not.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ford vent right.PNG   ford vent left.PNG   ford vent 2 .PNG  
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Buy CarveWright

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast