Thread: STL Files

Default STL Files

Sorry newbie STL user. I have a few STL files that I would like to carve using the Carvewright.

Do I understand correctly that I need the STL importer, that software allows importing into Designer 3, then I manipulate (size, position, etc) and import it to the memory card for carving as I normally would?

Is there anything special that I need to be considering?

I don't want to buy the STL importer and then find that things don't work as planned.

Thank you for any guidance you can offer!
    Rob

Rob, you are correct you need STL Importer to be able to convert an STL file into a pattern. I am no expert so can't give you any advice other than if you have a very large STL file you may have to run it through a free program like Meshlab to reduce the size that Designer will work with. There are directions on how to do this on the Forum someplace and it is very easy to do.

To use/make stl files into CarveWright patterns you can use either the STL importer or Sculptor. The link will allow you to view how they operate.

http://www.carvewright.com/add-on-modules/
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Rob, I have a blast using the STL importer. There is a learning curve like anything else. Not all STL files make good patterns. Look at the tutorials, as mentioned. The STL importer and designer are actually pretty forgiving.

I have found that some STL files won't load in STL Converter, but if you import them into Blender then export them they work? If you have the Rotary Jig you can import files for that with STL Importer. I find sculptor not as versatile for importing STLs. YOu can't slice thicker objects and I don't know ho you would do object's for rotary.
    Clint
    CarveWright StartU team member
    Web Site WWW.clintscustomcarving.com