Thread: B Model Machine

Default B Model Machine

A friend gave me a 2009 B CW machine - it has 350 total hours, needs a new feeder belt and flex-shaft. Is this machine worth restoring? Any idea what it would cost to make ready?

What chuck does it have? I am guessing it is a sand paper belt that needs replaced? CW does not sell them any more but there is another source for them..

ask for material, Aluminum Oxide Open Coat W-15" x L-13" Grit-120 Dry
    https://customsandingbelts.com/

Flex shaft http://store.carvewright.com/product...cat=255&page=3

Since your friend gave it to you I would say, Yes it is a good idea to get it fixed up
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

It has the old chuck - would you replace it with the Carvetight spindle?

Quote Originally Posted by Tractorman View Post
    It has the old chuck - would you replace it with the Carvetight spindle?
    Yes I would upgrade to the CarveTight Chuck.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

I would also upgrade it to the CarveTite. But another option is to replace the QC with a Muscle Chuck... The trick is to remove the old QC from the truck before you order the Muscle because it is possible you might not be able to get the QC off. You would need to insert a SOLDERING Iron into the chuck to heat the chuck to loosen the Red Forever Lock Tite. If you attempt to remove the QC without heat you will likely strip the square drive on top used to hold it. I have one I broke a few square drive bits on and even tried to drill a hole in the truck and shaft to lock it... But no luck... At some point it is almost worth it to try to remove the whole shaft from the truck and then remove the QC... But that requires a bearing press or some imagination... so that is WHY as a group we will always suggest to just purchase the CarveTite... And change the whole truck... You may want to order some eccentric Roller Rail Bearings AND a bunch of extra SCREWS as when you install the CarveTite you could SNAP the Screws.... This is a picture before the silver part of the truck started to shatter with the hole trying to hold the shaft to get the QC off... I finally gave up.... So lessons learned.... Go with a CarveTite.... At some point in the future a after market Truck will be coming out that has a standard router chuck on the end in either 1/4 or 1/2 inch. Likely you will send your truck in to the person making the shafts and it will be press fit like a CarveTite into your truck. Since there are so many flavors of the Truck... Early "A" units with the holes for the probe and Z Homing Sensor. Then the Same Truck with the holes with the black washer to prevent the bottom right bearing hole from snapping. Then finally the newer chucks that have a heavier or thicker casting for the bottom right bearing hole and the holes for the probe and homing sensor filled in. You would not want to send in the newest version and get back the earliest weaker version... So it will likely be... what ever you send in you get back... This will not be offered by LHR. You will read about it on THIS Forum and on the Facebook Page... IF you have not joined the Facebook Page... It has a lot of info and quicker reply time to problem questions. A ER-11 Shaft and Chuck has also been made by a user so that version may make it to production at some point too. And then some photos of Trucks over the years. Photo 3 is a 2007 First Production "A" Machine... SEE the metal homing FIN on the upper left side of the Truck and the black LED Homing Sensor on the left side of the truck AND the 1/8 inch jack for the probe data... A VIRGIN MACHINE... Number 4 showing a dual truck the left one being a ROCK Chuck no longer made and the right one with the black washer to help keep the thin bearing screw area from snapping.... Number 5 and 6 are showing when the Corrugated Metal DAMPER around the lower Spindle Bearing falls out... Not FUN.... And photo 6.... the Photo when I post it results in some requests at LHR for the LASER BIT Option... A little April Fools Humor from a few years ago... Made by a LHR Tech for a April Fools Day LAUGH that I saved... No this 1/8 inch Laser Cutting Bit is not REAL... Sorry... .
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC08350_WEB.jpg   1 Tim.jpg   Z flag.jpg   DSC03586_WEB.jpg  

DSC08513_WEB.jpg   DSC08518_WEB.jpg   lightsaberbit.jpg  
    Last edited by Digitalwoodshop; 06-24-2019 at 07:56 PM.
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

A friend gave me a 2009 B CW machine - it has 350 total hours, needs a new feeder belt and flex-shaft. Is this machine worth restoring? Any idea what it would cost to make ready?
    hi Bob here what is your location ??? would love the Machine if sell for right price . let me know

7. Default Hi

I just bought a used cw yr 2007 model...it has a ssandpaper drive...do the newer versions use a diff matrial?....also...i paid $450 for it is that a good price?....and i have the software disk but no activation code...how does someone activate a 2nd hand maxhine?

8. Default Bite the bullet.

My ice cold advice?. Everything is fixable. But nothing on Carvewright is cheap. By the time you get the rubber belt for 350.00 Maybe have to ship it to them to put it on, after you realize that you might not be able to do it. By the time you upgrade it's shortcomings, replace the old stuff....... Bah!
    Don't buy the used one.
    You are already up to maybe 1500.00 bucks or more and every year that goes by you'll envy all these guys with the Raven that they still make the parts for.
    Bite the bullet.
    Order yourself "the Raven". Budgets be damned. You'll be happy you have it, Not buying the old one, you've saved 1500.00 towards this one in a way. The extra money will be forgotten by Summer, and if you absolutely hate it, you can sell it and get most of your money back. You won't sell it. You'll like it. Why is my opinion so strong? Because I didn't take my own advice. I have an 0101.