Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tree Pattern

Default Tree Pattern

Hello everyone,

Would anyone be willing to help me out creating a similar pattern to this from an image? These are awesome trees, as far as the carvewright goes, and I haven't been able to find anything close to it in the pattern store in quality or style, so I think I need to create my own.

Is it best to start with a black and white silhouette? and then blur it?

Is there free software that I can use?

Thank you!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails tree 5.png  

I've tried several different blur percentages, and that did a good job of smoothing out all the dimples, but it seemed to lose a lot of the details...
    Attached Files Attached Files

Typically an image is hard to make it into a good pattern. To many high and low areas to get evened out.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Quote Originally Posted by fwharris View Post
    Typically an image is hard to make it into a good pattern. To many high and low areas to get evened out.
    So what do you do when you cannot find a good enough quality mpc, and dont have the ability to create/import stls?

There are many tree patterns that have been shared previously. The problem is of course finding them and differing qualities.

Here is one:
    https://forum.carvewright.com/showth...highlight=tree

Here is a quick model I made.

There are options using third party software i.e. ShaderMap, Blender 3d bas relief gray scale image.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails douglas fir.png   2019-06-10 20_49_02-Window.png  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by oscarl48; 06-10-2019 at 09:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by oscarl48 View Post
    There are many tree patterns that have been shared previously. The problem is of course finding them and differing qualities.

Here is one:
    https://forum.carvewright.com/showth...highlight=tree

Here is a quick model I made.

There are options using third party software i.e. ShaderMap, Blender 3d bas relief gray scale image.

You made that quickly?
    That looks really good. How did you learn to do that?

I downloaded Blender, and the sapling module is this what you used?

How did you turn it into the grayscale image?

Thanks!
    Last edited by lesuer27; 06-11-2019 at 01:19 PM.

Well I downloaded Blender and figured out how to make a tree with my 10 year old son. Its been quite an experience. I still haven't figured out how to create a grey scale of the image yet, but here is our first 3d image. It was a lot of fun.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails FIRST TREE.png  

That is awesome. Nicely done and yes that is exactly the sapling add-on I used.

The gray scale image creation is a nodal post process of the render done in the compositing screen. You can download the blend file at:
    https://blenderartists.org/t/two-cents/654804/152

Jacob built the node set up and I tweaked it slightly by using a Log function instead of the Power function he used. Both will do the job though. We are both still playing with it but it is close.

Open the bas relief blend file and then append the object data into it. Hit render and the bas relief will be created after rendering. It will take a few minutes only to do.

Hey oscarl, pardon my ignorance, I tried opening the blend file a few different ways, I'm not sure how to properly open it, but every time I do blender crashes. I must be doing something wrong.

How exactly do I open the file?

Thanks!

Sorry. Earlier file from Jacob is in 2.79 and my later one is in the new blender 2.8.

Blender 2.8 changed the file format of the blend files. So it will depend on which version of blender you downloaded on which one you can use.

2.8 can open 2.79 but 2.79 does not work with 2.8 files.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast