Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: CW ups the scanning probe price

Default Yes, training is the key!

Folks, your right training (and experiance) is the key, and neither has much to do with (formal) education. When you hire/train someone on a new piece of equipment, such as this, it will take about 3 months before they can accomplish something with guidance and 6 months before they begin to have a clue. After 12-18 months you stand the chance of having the makings of a good technician (I've been on both sides of this; being the greenhorn and the manager). That's the tricky part; hiring/training just before you need the help.

But, I think all of this is a bit OT from the topic of the thread. I'm guessing that the probe will be available on sale from Sears as well.
    Happy carving , Jeff Birt

Check out www.soigeneris.com for CarveWright Accesories.

Home of the 'Carving in the Dark' back lit LCD kit!

I am among the many who are waiting on the probe I ordered it when I ordered my first machine. I just re-watched Michael T's video again amd can't wait.

Early bird gets the worm but it is the second mouse who gets the cheese from the trap.
    Mike G
    Custom wood working, etc, www.gmanind.com

Sears has the probe on sale at $20 off, but the sale ends today. (04/07) $379.99
    http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...%2C+%26+Shaper

Ernie

Default Repair Time

[
    I just spoke with Texas yesterday and the sad news is to send my unit in. What has been the turn around time that others have seen, including shipping time?

It would have been nice of CW to let its faithful following know about this price increase and/or offer those the chance to lock in the lower price.

As for the contract with Sears, that is definitely an odd agreement for the distributor to call the shots and set the price, and the manufacturer has to comply? And yet LHR lets Sears sell their machine below MSRP. This contract seems a little heavy handed in Sears favor.

Rob

You can always build your own probe. Its an easy design and build. Only issue is getting the software to take its input without the license.
    BoardSilly
    "Destroying Cuba 1 Cigar At A Time"

Default Making your own probe??

BoardSilly,

Can you really make your own probe?? I ran a UMM (Universal Measuring Machine) many years ago, before CMM machines were developed. It was all micrometers and dial indicators. The CW probe has to convert x and y deflections as it's going up and down through the z axis, and has to convert all of those readings into z axis values. I don't think that would be easy?? I'm old and I've been out of the loop for a few years, but if one could make a 3d probe, I'd be interested.

Gary
    It's not a hammer, it's a microadjuster!

Quote Originally Posted by HighTechOkie View Post
    It would have been nice of CW to let its faithful following know about this price increase and/or offer those the chance to lock in the lower price.

As for the contract with Sears, that is definitely an odd agreement for the distributor to call the shots and set the price, and the manufacturer has to comply? And yet LHR lets Sears sell their machine below MSRP. This contract seems a little heavy handed in Sears favor.

Rob
    Sears has a history of being heavy handed with manufactures. That the reason today you never heard of "Armstrong Tire and Rubber Co." AKA "The Sears Syndrom" as known in manufacturing.

DDV

When you have a customer who wants all you have and all you can get, it's hard not to reach for the carrot. I just hope it doesn't backfire. I tried to order the probe at Sears sale price last night, but they wouldn't take the order...... just said it was temporarly out of stock. (Sigh!) I guess I'll have to wait for the next Club sale and hope they are in stock at that time.

Ernie

update: Just found out the 10% discount only works on things in their CC flyer............ not all tools like before. Now they are offering a 10% rebate on all tools bought online, starting today(4/ until 4/11. That would be $40 off the price, if you can order the probe before the 12th. Wanna bet they'll still be out of stock?
    Last edited by Semper Fi; 04-08-2007 at 12:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    BoardSilly,

Can you really make your own probe?? I ran a UMM (Universal Measuring Machine) many years ago, before CMM machines were developed. It was all micrometers and dial indicators. The CW probe has to convert x and y deflections as it's going up and down through the z axis, and has to convert all of those readings into z axis values. I don't think that would be easy?? I'm old and I've been out of the loop for a few years, but if one could make a 3d probe, I'd be interested.

Gary

Touch probes are nothing more then switches. The principle is quite simple, the probe ( with a hardened point or ruby ball tip) fits into a hub and from this hub extend hardened rods. These in turn sit on hardened balls. The rods are electrically insulated from each other but do of course make an electrical contact between the balls they sit on. There is an internal circuit which includes the balls and rods as switches in series. The hub with its rods is held in contact with the balls by a spring. The basic concept can be seen in the attached image. I'm also attaching an image of the CW probe and one of a homemade probe. Can you build your own probe? Sure can. Can you use it with the CW software? Not without buying a license to do so from CW. The probe is the least expensive part of the equation, the cost is in the software. But I doubt CW would be happy with me for going into details on it all on their forum.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails probe.jpg   00921778000.jpg   proberunning.jpg  
    BoardSilly
    "Destroying Cuba 1 Cigar At A Time"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast