Thread: Sharpest vee bit?

Default Sharpest vee bit?

Working with CNSRanch on a project (cutting some nametages into some HDPE ColorCore plastic, blue/white/blue at 0.250" thickness).

The sharpest vee bit he has is the 60 deg (total angle) and also has the 90 deg (total angle). Sharper is better as we're trying for small text.

Anybody have any experience with these Amana tools with solid carbide inserts? That would give us a 40 degree included angle, 20 degrees each side. Pricey though.

Thoughts are appreciated, thanks!
    jkpq45

Forgot to mention--CarveTight spindle with 1/2->1/4 adapter so I assume any non-solid-carbide tool with a true 1/4" or 1/2" shank will work?

Alternative at 30 deg total angle, replaceable knives, etc.: "Cheaper" at about $75 for the holder and a single knife:

https://www.toolstoday.com/in-groove...rt-knives.html

I have attempted to do Name Tags with the CW. The Resolution of the Encoders is too loose.... As in it is not fine enough to do small text.

I posted part of this on the Facebook Page and asked for anyone to CHIME in HERE and on FB if you had GOOD RESULTS doing small text. I am willing to LEARN something NEW.

Now this was in 2008 and many improvements have been made and I am still using the FREE Software with Centerline Text.

I like that Amana Bit Option above... That is pretty slick...

HERE are what the Rotary Engravers use for Name Tag Plastic as far as bits.

Here is my Star 912 that has sat un used in the corner just waiting for the day when I have a project needing small text.... Like a Wood fly box....

The bit in the QC Bit Holder is what I used to try the fine text. It was a fail. I put some reflective blue vinyl over some PVC Board. I also tried some name tag plastic but the Z Depth dug through the plastic... YOU do not have control over DEPTH of the letters... UNLESS you try a SINGLE STROKE FONT and OUTLINE MODE for your small text where you select a bit AND DEPTH.... Never Tried that for SMALL TEXT... Works great for 2 inch tall letters and a 3/8 end mill bit to emulate a plastic letter guide lettering in 2 inch.

So pictures. 1. My attempt to get small text in 2008.
    2. Bit I used. Came from my Rotary Engraver. Is 6 inches long as the drive in up top. Cut in half with my Chain Saw Sharpener.
    3. Grinding to cut in 1/2 A $60.00 bit....
    4 End Results.
    5. My Star 912 or 9 x 12 work area.
    6. $300.00 in 6 inch long bits.
    7. My attempt to make a Illuminated Name Sign. Insert Solar LED's in the back. See the 1 with holes in Picture 1. My fail was not enough charge time in the Winter.... IF I used 4 LED's and used thin FIBER OPTIC CABLE like the LAMPS you see... It might work.... But lighting 60 LED's sucked down the batteries... Here I added a D Battery Pack to the AA Solar Light.
    8. Here are 2 Flavors of TRUCKS... Both have HOLES from the "A" Series Machines..... The CASTING was THIN in the bottom RIGHT and the Wedge Shape of the Bearing SCREW SNAPPED the TRUCK making it TRASH. The BLACK WASHER was the Very GOOD LHR FIX.... Version or FLAVOR 3 is a Truck with a Heavier Casting in the bottom right AND the old HOLES for the Z Homing Sensor (Gone) and the 1/8 inch Jack for the Probe Data (Gone) are filled in SOLID on the Flavor 3.

AL
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC03388.JPG   DSC03585_WEB.jpg   DSC03577_WEB.jpg   DSC03581_WEB.jpg  

DSC05190_WEB.jpg   DSC02811_WEB.jpg   DSC02950_WEB.jpg   DSC03586_WEB.jpg  

Last edited by Digitalwoodshop; 05-16-2019 at 01:07 AM.
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

AL,
    You're out of my league with all the options but one thing I found out by a fluke might help you if controlling the depth using a 'centerline' type text carve would help. I found that by entering my text as a raster carve and then after it was shown on the board I made it into a Carve Reqion. To me it looks like centerline and I can control the depth. I use the normal 1/16 bit as I have not done a lot of small text. I am still on 1.187 and do have centerline so I rarely use this 'trick' now. Might be worth a try, maybe even try a 1/32 bit
    Rick H

Great Idea... Thanks
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com