Thread: z-axis stall 324

Default z-axis stall 324

I have tried to read the various threads and troubleshoot, but am not finding my answer.

Short story - turn on the machine, attempt to carve, immediate z-axis stall error. Have run the z axis test, immediate stall. I have cleaned the machine very thoroughly. Removed the z-motor and it turns fine. with the machine off and the motor off, the truck is fairly frozen.... I can move it with more force that should be required. The bottom pulley is not the issue as I have removed the belt from it, and again the truck will not move. I have checked the rails and they are clean, used canned air to blow everything off and I see no debris. It seems that it is the bearings on the ztruck. I hate to remove them, as they have lock tight on them. Not sure how to clean them better. I have thought about just squirting WD40 on them and see if it loosens them up.

FYI, this ztruck/carvetight has been on the machine for probably 100 hours and nothing has been adjusted... so I don't believe it is the screws, impromper tension on the z-truck roller bearings.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Rob

Sounds like you've narrowed it down to one of the bearings frozen. I've had it happen and WD didn't help, had to bite the bullet. Reality, trying the WD shouldn't hurt, what have you got to lose.
    Luck, Rick H

Wd-40 will not hurt the bearings. Pop the dust covers off the bearings. You will be able to see which ones are rolling and which ones don't. Yes they do have loctite on the bearing screws of the high strength type, that will require heat to loosen the loctite. Saps from the wood can get in places and cause many issues.

Lots of paper towels to catch the run off.... And soak the rags in water so no Spontaneous Combustion... I was doing Poly with a rag years ago out on my deck. Got a phone call... Dropped my rag on the table. Came back and picked it up and burnt my hand.... It was ready to burst into flames....

I agree the frozen bearing will cause a stall. WD-40 will likely fix the problem... Likely the lower bearing getting splattered with wood chips and pitch... You could even try some Penetrating oil... My thinking on all the bearings I have replaced is NONE were wore out... They ALL were DIRTY..... Wood PITCH..... Clean in PLACE.... LP AIR to blast the oil around... And if you order bearings be sure to order SCREWS.... And a few FFC Cables and Brushes too.... Save on Future Shipping.

Good Luck... I use a tooth brush size brass brush to scrub the Rails too...

AL
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com