Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Stopped dead mid carve.

Default Stopped dead mid carve.

So my fun begins, my first machine stopped dead in it's tracks mid cut. No power to LCD screen, just dead. Called 800-573-1226 and left a message.

Will begin the troubleshooting tonight by pulling the bottom cover off and tracing the power from the plug to the switch and power supply.

Just checked the card and it took another file so I bet it is fine.

Let the fun begin.... Lucky me as I have a second unit in pieces waiting for the Z Encoder to come back.... Someone say Spare Parts......

AL

AL sorry hear about it, I am debating on taking mine back for a refund or exchange it for number 5?

I was hoping the minor check cut motor problem was going to it. I finally got a good machine. Then the famous close cover occurred. So following the CW tech advise I removed a ribbon cable that was suppose to fix it.

Nope it just made my machine unable to use a probe with it. So do I try again or just cut my losses ?

Rick

just west of beautiful downtown Hawkins, Mi.

Question Can't afford the lumber

I have had my machine for 2 weeks. Made 3 nice projects BUT ruined 5 pieces of QUALITY SELECT red oak and $30+ each. Machine seems to get 80% conplete then gets Z stall error.....back roller fault....etc. etc. I stripped a gear in the drive system and had to wait for a new one and install it myself. Problems after problems. Is there any way to start a project where it left off? You can't start over because the bit locating the board won't start the machine again. More wood for the campfire. I love this machine dearly but there have been many times that I wanted to "bag it" and set it out on the curb for the trash man. Bill Gates is the richest man in the world and he invented the poorest operating system available. Microsoft is constantly crashing and locking up. Campucarve is tryhing to catch up with him.

pamjmayo Guest

Default Doa

I haven't had any problems with my machine. A few error messages I was able to fix with the help of Roger and Sarge. I was carving and stopped the carving because the cuts were too deep (my mistake) and then the LED went dead and I can't get it going again. I would have no idea how to trace wires, etc. as I am far from technical. Does anyone have any ideas? Is this a reason to return it and wait for a new one?

pamjmayo Guest

Default Al

We both lost our machines the same way at exactly the same time. I wish we could swear on the forum. Please let me know if you discover something.
    I've done so many carvings and things were just wonderful till this.

Default Fixed..... Sorta....

Thanks for the post's guys.

The short story is the Power Supply Circuit board has a intermittent cracked copper trace that I cannot find. Swapped the power supply from my 2nd unit and I am back up and running. Left a message with Service to call me, I would like to send this power supply back in exchange for another one.

The Long Story is I checked the power switch and it was good. Went to the power supply and decided to pull it out. See pictures of Power Supply board and possible cold solder joints.

I am Retired Navy Electronics and I was a former Sony Service Tech that fixed Play Station 2's and a bunch of other stuff so I am in my glory here..... A chance to use my soldering stuff....

I went over the power supply and re soldered the big transformer that I suspected was causing the problem. Looked thing over and put it back in.

Tried it before I put the bottom cover on and it powered up. Good I fixed it. Put the bottom cover on and flipped it upright and turned it on and nothing.... DEAD...... I took my fist and tapped the top, not in anger, but to bounce the heavy power supply transformers and guess what, it came back on...... Tapped it and it went off..... Remove the bottom and went over the circuit board soldering about 50 places and checking everything with a Mantis Magnifier I have for detail work. Put it back in a 2nd time same thing.... Did more re soldering and checking and it failed the 3rd time. Gave up.....

To be sure it is a power supply problem and not a microprocessor problem..... I took the power supply from the other unit. Now it worked great, tapped, pounded, ran a board.... I was back in business....

So that's my story and I am sticking to it......

Made a bunch of pictures to show everyone the Soft Under Belly of the CompuCarve.

Check out the picture with the memory card half in. You can see the connector is exposed to the air and dust in the belly. If a wood chip got in the pins then the card was inserted that would be bad. From now on I will only blow the chips with a card in the unit.

AL
    Last edited by Digitalwoodshop; 07-01-2007 at 08:54 PM.

Default More Pictures

Here are more pictures.

This is Toooooo Much FUN...... It's Midnight.... A Normal person would be in bed...

AL
    Last edited by Digitalwoodshop; 07-01-2007 at 08:54 PM.

Cool Normal person

A "Normal" person wouldn't put up with half the headaches!!!!
    Are ya smoking canine fecal matter, AGAIN????

http://home.att.net/~inabnitt/wsb/ht...out.html-.html

Smile

Oh my GOD! I had to use the manual just to plug the machine in. LOL

Not made in the USA

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast