Thread: Import license failure

Default Import license failure

I have a new laptop computer and want to move my software, patterns, etc from the old laptop. I downloaded my license file from the website and also had it e-mailed to me. The e-mail states that I should double click the file and it will automatically install. It didn't, so I went to the file that I downloaded and tried to open it also. Both operations gave the message that the import failed. Am I doing it wrong?

That import license contains your OLD computer IDs and not your new one.

You currently have two computers registered (Laptop & Office PC). One or both need to be deactivated to free up your licenses for a new computer install.

You will then need to follow these instructions based on your computer's operating system:

DOWNLOADING THE LATEST VERSION OF DESIGNER SOFTWARE
    INSTALLATION OF LATEST VERSION

1. If you have an old disk of the Project Designer Software, throw it in the trash
    2. If you installed software from an old disk or if you were running version 1.182 or older, go into your control panel and remove the CarveWright installation
    3. Download the correct version of Project Designer:

Basic Designer v1.188 (free version) - http://www.carvewright.com/updates/
    Project Designer 3 v3.xxx (paid upgrade) - http://www.carvewright.com/update3/

1. Ignore any security warnings. Since Microsoft & other security software applications have never heard of CarveWright, you may get security warnings that we are not safe; select to Allow or Continue anyway.
    2. You will be given the option to RUN or SAVE (OPEN IN FOLDER)
      1. Windows Vista, 7, 8, or 10 operating systems:
        Do Not select Run & go to step 6
      2. Windows XP operating systems:
        Click Run & go to step 9
      3. Mac operating systems:
        Follow the Mac Installation Instructions http://www.carvewright.com/assets/se...tart_Guide.pdf

Under the Designer Software Quick Start Guide

1. Save the file into your Downloads folder or somewhere that you can find it; or click Open in Folder
    2. Find the Application file that you just downloaded or opened in a folder that is named “Designer_1_18(#)” (last number will change with each update)
    3. Right-Click on it and select "Run As Administrator" from the menu to install
    4. Follow the installation wizard *For Windows 10 when prompted for install location change from the default of C:\ProgramFiles (x86)\ to C:\ProgramData\CarveWright\ (if running BASIC) or C:\ProgramData\CarveWright3\ (if running PRO).
    5. Unselect and/or disregard the “Read Me” file instructions

REGISTRATION OF PROJECT DESIGNER

1. After installed, you will need to register the software to your existing Customer Account
    2. Find the Project Designer Icon on your Desktop
      1. Windows Vista, 7, 8 or 10 operating systems:
        Right-click on the icon and select RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR
      2. Windows XP operating systems:
        Double-click to open
      3. MAC - drag icon into Applications Folder. Reinstall x11 (https://www.xquartz.org/) & turn off feature called APP NAP under GET INFO.

3. Register ONLINE and select the option that says "I Already Have A CarveWright Customer Account" (If you are an educator and want students to log in with different usernames & passwords, please click USE EDUCATOR LICENSES.
    4. You will need to know your Customer Account username & password to register
    5. Your Customer Account password can be reset, if you cannot remember it. You must know your username & email address. Call LHR, if you do not know it. DO NOT try to create a New Customer Account as your machine serial number is already registered to YOU and that is where any other licenses that you have are registered

RE-DOWNLOADING LICENSED PATTERNS & PROJECTS

1. Log into your Customer Account at www.carvewright.com under Quick Links (bottom of page)
    2. Next to each pattern, collection and project is a download link
    3. Double click on the ptn or mpl file to upload into Project Designer's Pattern Library
    4. Remember projects are saved to your computer and never uploaded into your Pattern Library

NOTE: STORE ACCOUNT (where you make online purchases) & CUSTOMER ACCOUNT (where you register computers, machine & licenses) are two separate pieces of software and may have different usernames & passwords.
    NOTE: Windows Vista, 7, 8, & 10 users may want to right-click on your Project Designer Software icon > go to PROPERTIES > then ADVANCED PROPERTIES (may be named something similar) and find the option to ALWAYS RUN THIS APPLICATION AS ADMINISTRATOR.

Call us at 713-473-6572, if you still need assistance.

CarveWright Customer Service
    CarveWright CX Packaged System - starting at $2000
    CarversClub 1 Year Subscription - $150.00/year
    Adv. Support w/out CC membership - $25.00/issue
    CarveWright Community Forum - PRICELESS!

Thanks! This is very timely information as I will be doing the same thing next week.
    A couple further questions:
    1. You say to change the install directory to "C:\ProgramData\CarveWright3\". Why is that? Last time I just used the default. This time I actually want to install it on my D: drive. Any issues doing that?

2. To move all of my patterns over from my old computer do I just move "users\username\carvewright\favorites.mpn or do I need to also move other files?

Can anyone shed some light on my questions?

Call support at 713-473-6572. I'm not sure how putting it on the D drive will work.

Be careful messing with the favorites folder. Not something you should do unless you know what you are doing and may be totally unnecessary.
    CarveWright CX Packaged System - starting at $2000
    CarversClub 1 Year Subscription - $150.00/year
    Adv. Support w/out CC membership - $25.00/issue
    CarveWright Community Forum - PRICELESS!