OK I've watched videos, read the manual, I've made several carves....but one thing I just can't seem to get right every time is pinpoint positioning on the board.

Is there some step-by-step instructions on the different ways to position the bit on a board that someone could share/link to please?

For example: you have to leave 3.5" on either side of a board to keep it under the rollers. so let's say I have a plaque to carve that's 10" long. I need to have a 17" board for this to work this way. I try to position the bit on the part of the board that would represent the corner of the carve - 3.5" from the actual edge of my 17" board. I do that.........and it seems to just decide on its own when it measures the board where it's going to position it. I must be missing something silly here, but honestly it's kept me away from using the Carvewright for a couple weeks because I'm just afraid I'm going to keep wasting valuable wood.

All the videos are really old, I wish they'd update them - but that's beside the point. I just can't seem to find the exact information that I'm looking for and I'd think it would be obvious. Must be me, I'm certain......

-Don