Thread: Red index line on chuck?

Default Red index line on chuck?

What is the purpose of the red index line on the chuck. Is it for inserting the scan probe?

I use it for a reference line to install the bit with the set screws left and right of the red line.

AL

it lines up with the red line on the inside of the chuck sombody posted a pdf copy of the full text from the Sears quick chuck manual it is the same principal even if the jury is still out as to if it is the same chuck. ( I fall in with the people who believe it is )
    Why don't they ever clear a neighborhood to plant a forest instead of the other way around.

Default Same mechanics, different mounting

Quote Originally Posted by revved_up View Post
    it lines up with the red line on the inside of the chuck sombody posted a pdf copy of the full text from the Sears quick chuck manual it is the same principal even if the jury is still out as to if it is the same chuck. ( I fall in with the people who believe it is )
    I have both chucks. I bought the Sears unit to get the wrench (it was as cheap for me to buy a similar wrench and three adapters, so I just got the set).

The Sears quick-change base IS the same, however it is not usable in the Carvewright because the way they mount to the shafts are different (the Sears unit has a threaded split mounting column that is designed to fit around the outside of your solid router shaft and then tightened).

just a note, I just picked up 1/4" and 1/2" bit adapter sets on sale $9.49 for set of 3. they look identical to CW bit adapters. i will try a test in a few minutes.
    Mike G
    Custom wood working, etc, www.gmanind.com

If they are from sears they will fit .
    1.187 Custom Woodworking for more than 40-years