Thread: Problems with a simple text cutout

Default Problems with a simple text cutout

I'm going to admit I've not used my machine in near 4 years so I'm very rusty but here's what I'm trying to do and whats happening.

I'm trying to do what seems to be the most simple letter cutout humanly possible.

So I've written my text on my board which is 3/4" thick. I choose outline on the text screen after writing my text. I want it to be a cutout so I say I want to cut it at 3/4" using a max pass depth of .25 inches to be safe and I'm using a 1/16th inch straight cut bit for the carving.

So during the upload it's saying that it's to deep of a cut.

So ok I lowered the cut depth to .70 depth to leave a little and I'll just cut it out the rest of the way post carve a little bit of a pain but ok. Still no go says it's to deep of a carve.

So less and less deep I go until I find it will allow me to carve at .25" of my 3/4" board.

So am I correct that I cant cutout or even come within half of cutting out the text I want?
    I dont remember it being this way in the past I have to be doing something wrong something very simple surly I can change to make this work. I really dont want to carve away the entire board leaving just the text I am going to use that seems insanely wastefull of my bit and machine time just to get it to give me the the left over text letters I want there has to be a way to make this work.

Much appreciated if anyone can help I've searched 20 different ways on what I'm doing wrong nearly everything comes up with the centerline text which is not what I'm looking for.

Thanks.

Update dont think I fixed anything havent tried to carve it yet but restarted the program (well it crashed and i restarted it) and after that it allowed me to upload as is with max depth as a cutout using the same outline text settings. No idea if it's going to work or not since I realize that a full cutout is not really supposed to happen without tabs but it's uploaded regardless I'll either have my carving or firewood one way or the other. So I'm not sure if the upload I got was a glitch or if not allowing me to upload it before was a glitch. One or the other was obvioulsy since nothing changed.

I'd still like to hear from anyone that has tried this and it worked or failed before I hit the carve button tomorrow afternoon anyway. Thanks

Hi deckard,

I noticed in your first post that you are trying to do this cut with a 1/16th cutting bit. I think if you install a 1/8th cutting bit and select that in the cutting depth setup, you should be able to do the project if I am understanding you correctly.

Mike
    All Gave Some,
    Some Gave All.

My computer configuration and software used:
    Gigabyte GA-990XA-UD3 Motherboard, AMD FX 6-core Processor Black Edition, 32 Gig DDR 3 Ram, Gigabyte HD 6450 Video Card with 1 Gig DDR 3 ram, Windows 10
    Designer 2.007, Designer 3.102, Pattern Editor, Centerline, Conforming Vectors, 2d Tools, 3d Tools, DXF Importer, STL Importer and Rotary Jig.

Quote Originally Posted by mikemi View Post
    Hi deckard,

I noticed in your first post that you are trying to do this cut with a 1/16th cutting bit. I think if you install a 1/8th cutting bit and select that in the cutting depth setup, you should be able to do the project if I am understanding you correctly.

Mike
    well somehow I got it to upload but haven’t tried the carve yet so if it doesn’t work as in the machine kicks it out then I’ll go back and try that again I did notice it automatically changing the depth when I tried different cut bits and I did try the 1/8th with no luck but like I said it crashed and after that seemed to work but still has me leery

oh and I really appreciate the suggestion who knows what I did honestly I even tried deleting the entire project a couple times and starting over thinking that might help with no luck.

I have done individual letter cut outs... First I laid out my text as it is to be on the final product. In my case it was a Sign made of individual letters. Then I typed the first letter of the sign. Just ONE Letter.... Then I overlaid the single letter on top of the first letter of the WORD. I did this to make the proper size. I then took the properly sized letter and moved it to the other end of the board in Designer. I did this for EACH LETTER. Then when I was done, I erased the WORD. Now I had single letters. I selected the letters and selected OUTLINE. Then I Selected a CUT PATH for each letter. Some Letters I had to make a outline of the CENTER of a A for example and assign a cut path to it. I NESTED the letters on the board to get good use. I was using white PVC Board. ONE LAST STEP... I DELETED the Single Typed Letter LEAVING ONLY THE CUT PATH with TABS. I cut them and off I went... For a 2 sided sign I gave the guy a ball bearing guide bit... Told him to trace the cut letter from me on the board I gave him then rough cut the letter with a saber saw. Then apply double sided tape to the good letter and stick it on the rough cut. Use the pattern ball bearing cutter and a router to make a 2nd set... Here is a sign I did, or the Customer Did... I should take a picture... the store is closed for years. To get the Scale of the Letters to fit the Building I put a 4 foot florescent lamp box on the ground next to the building. Took a picture and brought it into Corel Draw 12. I drew a 4 inch rectangle in Corel. I expanded the picture until the 4 inch rectangle fit the 4 foot box in the photo. Then I was able to type the letters in Corel Draw and scale them to fit the area. I was also able to calculate the sign size for the Township Meeting that the Customer attended. I don't do sign jobs out due to liability and no contractor license. The customer got approval and mounted the letters on some plywood due to the boards as siding.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC02012_WEB.jpg   DSC02021_WEB.jpg   DSC02022_WEB.jpg   DSC02196_WEB.jpg  

KFinal32.jpg  
    Last edited by Digitalwoodshop; 03-18-2019 at 10:45 PM.
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

The 1/16" cutting bit if for thin stock. Max cut depth is 1/4". Specifications
    • Max cutting depth with this bit is 1/4 inch.
    Specifications
    Specifications
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.