Thread: Carving confusion.

Default Carving confusion.

Just recently, a woman texted me with a hand drawn design of a sign, she desired, with the names of her two newest grandchildren, and the year of their birth (this year). I designed up what she had, in Designer, and set myself to carving it out, this morning. The project called for two bits (the 1/16" carving bit, and the 90 degree bit). The 1/16" carving bit was the first, which was called for, and there was no issue with it. However, there WAS an issue with the 90 degree bit. After installing it, the machine went through its process of honing it in, and an error message popped up. I don't remember its exact message, but it had to do with the bit depth not matching. I was given the option of retrying, or continuing on with it. I hit retry, a couple of times, but the response was the same. After that, I chose to continue. I knew that dissatisfaction was going to be the case, but I wanted to see just WHAT the situation was going to be. It turned out that this bit produced very shallow carvings. So shallow, in fact, that some of the lettering was missing. I ran the entire carving process through, again. This time, however, I knew of no other action but to limit the depth of the bit's insertion into the bit holder's socket. It turned out that I did get the project carved out, but with a bit deeper carve than I had desired (shouldn't have reduced the depth as much as I did).

I have no clue as to why that error message surfaced, but it must be something that 'I' did wrong. I have attached the MPC, in hopes that something about it may be telling.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    ~ Blessings ~
    Nathan

Was there a chance that the 90* bit was not installed at the same depth in the chuck when you installed it for the start up checks? That is usually why you will get the depth error message when it is installed for the carving. When you select the continue option the machine will use the bit length it saw on the last measurement.

As for why it did not carve at the designed depth. If you are using a sled/jig and during the "finding surface" step the bit touched off on the rail board of the jig with the rail being higher than the carving board the difference in surface height would be enough to carve shallower.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Do you use a stop collar on your bits, this ensures the correct depth when you insert the bits in
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 824982D7-F470-480C-A63A-BB27A111FFF2.jpeg  
    My Shop 1044

CarveWright START U Team Member

V - 1.187 and 3.0 too
    With the DC Insert," dust all gone"
    CarveWright Customer Documentation http://www.carvewright.com/2010CWweb/maintenance.htm
    CarveWright Tips and Tricks http://www.carvewright.com/2010CWweb/tips.htm
    www.customcarvingsbyperry.com
    I have often wondered why it is that
    Conservatives are called the "right" and Liberals are called the "left".
    "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of
    the fool to the left."

Classic BAD FSC Cable.... One of the wires is broken and just touching then not.... OR the Z Roller Rails are dirty and if you watch close the bit is not actually touching the bit flag. It is hitting a lump of dust and reversing.

The miss match is not finding the very same distance to bit touch twice. If it does a 3rd time is is confused. At that time you need to check the equipment.

AL
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

Quote Originally Posted by fwharris View Post
    Was there a chance that the 90* bit was not installed at the same depth in the chuck when you installed it for the start up checks?
    No, I really don't think so. As far as I know, I had the plastic bushing properly inserted onto the stem of the bit, with the bit adapter having been pushed all the way up into the receiver. As far as a sled, or carrier is concerned, neither of those were utilized.
    ~ Blessings ~
    Nathan

Quote Originally Posted by myshop1044 View Post
    Do you use a stop collar on your bits, this ensures the correct depth when you insert the bits in
    Yes indeed. A stop collar was used.
    ~ Blessings ~
    Nathan

I tend to agree with fwharris as not inserting the bit so that the collar is tight against the chuck both the first and second time the machine asked for the bit. This created a difference in the bit length and affected the depth of the carving. I always slap the bit collar up against the chuck to be sure it is properly installed. Very common error when using the v-bits for centerline text. I have had this with a bad FFC cable, but less common.

Quote Originally Posted by dbemus View Post
    I tend to agree with fwharris as not inserting the bit so that the collar is tight against the chuck both the first and second time the machine asked for the bit. This created a difference in the bit length and affected the depth of the carving. I always slap the bit collar up against the chuck to be sure it is properly installed. Very common error when using the v-bits for centerline text. I have had this with a bad FFC cable, but less common.
    You may have something, here. I mean, it could've been that I wasn't as precise as I should've been, when inserting the bit. I guess it's possible that I MIGHT'VE had some variance in distance, regarding the placements of said bit. Henceforth, I will be more mindful of my efforts at getting that bit properly seated.
    ~ Blessings ~
    Nathan