Thread: Broken bits

Default Broken bits

I am looking for a few broken bits that have the Carvetite adapter. I am looking for the adapter end. I am looking to replace the broke bits with new ones, and need a few adapters to make this happen. That way I can keep a stock on usable tooling and keeping my costs down.

If no one has any for you, I could make some for you. You would have to press the carbide bit in from the back, but I've done it with a torch and drill press.

That will be the plan if I can not find any here, but think there may be a few out there. I had a jig made up for I press to the same spot every time. I have an arbor press at work to use or I have air over hydraulic press out in the shop. Little big for the job but works great.

I do not use my press. A propane torch provides enough heat to slip on or off an adapter in only a few seconds. I have noticed that cold pressing damages the adapters. The carbide bit has sharp edges and is harder than the adapter. I plan to reuse my adapters many times and would worry about the damage.

With the presses I have to use, I heat the adapter, drop in the bit, place the jig and press. This insures that if the adapter cools to much for the fit the be right, the press and jig make sure they all get set at the same position.