Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Layering Wood (Glue-Up)

Default Layering Wood (Glue-Up)

So I just got my machine yesterday, grabbed a couple images from the store here and for my first project I made the attached "sign" as a test. I think it came out amazingly well (watching all the videos I did was a big help).

My question is this - what I'd really like to be able to do is layer boards, like with a dark walnut on top of a lighter wood below (say, maple or even pine). This way the tops of the lettering and designs would be highlighted and the depth would be lighter.

That said, in order to do this I would need to glue-up the boards...which I'm fine with but I noticed on the product page for the bits that one of the main things that cause the bits to dull faster. Have you folks experienced this, and if so is it still worth it for the effect or do they dull so fast it's just not worth doing it this way?

Any/all advice on this technique would be welcome!

Thanks ahead of time for your help.

-Don

First Noobie Mistake - forgot to upload the pic!

-Don

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AreYouSure.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	54.3 KB 
ID:	87289

Welcome aboard!
    Nice job on your first project.

I've routed a lot of glued up wood and plywood.
    Glue does decrease tool life some I suppose, but so does using them. The way I look at it, cutting tools are consumable items, using them up is just part of making cool stuff.
    I wouldn't think twice about doing a glue up and running it through.
    I don't think it dramatically reduces tool life on carbide tooling, high speed steel it does, but nothing we are running is HSS.
    I say glue up and go for it!

Justin Pierce, aka spalted
    *Pattern Editor (Probe) * Centerline * Dxf Import * STL Importer * Version 3 Standalone * Advanced 3D * Advanced 2D * Conforming Vectors * Rotary *C Machine *Rock Chuck

Years ago someone showed some multi color layered plywood, haven’t seen it since , !!!
    My Shop 1044

CarveWright START U Team Member

V - 1.187 and 3.0 too
    With the DC Insert," dust all gone"
    CarveWright Customer Documentation http://www.carvewright.com/2010CWweb/maintenance.htm
    CarveWright Tips and Tricks http://www.carvewright.com/2010CWweb/tips.htm
    www.customcarvingsbyperry.com
    I have often wondered why it is that
    Conservatives are called the "right" and Liberals are called the "left".
    "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of
    the fool to the left."

I don't recall the user but maybe they will see this and show some pictures. They glued two different woods together and did their carving down to the next layer in some areas. The results were quite quite nice.

I guess the glue used might be concerning. Too soft and it might clog the bit. Too hard and it might excessively dull the bit. If it was me I would make some glue tests to see what might be the best. Of course in the end it may be nothing more than a SWAG before it's over.

I've done several projects where I have glued up different species of wood (my favorite is walnut and maple) and have not noticed any effect on the bits.

Yes it was a peacock and the eyes on the tail had different colors for the different layers
    My Shop 1044

CarveWright START U Team Member

V - 1.187 and 3.0 too
    With the DC Insert," dust all gone"
    CarveWright Customer Documentation http://www.carvewright.com/2010CWweb/maintenance.htm
    CarveWright Tips and Tricks http://www.carvewright.com/2010CWweb/tips.htm
    www.customcarvingsbyperry.com
    I have often wondered why it is that
    Conservatives are called the "right" and Liberals are called the "left".
    "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of
    the fool to the left."

Now that I think about it, wasn't there and old Tips and Tricks issue with a laminated wood project or something?

Or was it forum posts that I've seen..................
    I dunno, either way it's a cool effect.

I looked to see if I had any photos of ones that I did in the past but I came up empty handed.

Justin Pierce, aka spalted
    *Pattern Editor (Probe) * Centerline * Dxf Import * STL Importer * Version 3 Standalone * Advanced 3D * Advanced 2D * Conforming Vectors * Rotary *C Machine *Rock Chuck

Carving glue ups is very common. I have seen folks do some great work with glue ups. I have done a few, they didn't seem any worse than any other carving board. I also use Anigre which is full of silica that is very hard on cutting tools, but carves great and hold up well to small detail without break out and Ipe that burns up HSS tooling in the blink of an eye, it is one of the hardest woods out there, but once again holds up well for fine detail. When I'm working with wood, I'm going for a look, so tooling is second to that. To make an omelet you must break a few eggs. The gain over comes the loss.

Wow - thanks everyone for your responses! I feel much better about the idea now, and I plan on trying it in the near future. For now I'm still working on tests, learning more about the tool, depth carving, etc. For Glue I use Titebond III for just about everything, I have yet to find anything that it's not great for - and (not that it would matter here) it's indirect food safe for use with cutting boards, which I do a lot of.

I'm really glad I looked deeper into the negative reviews I read - the support and community here has been nothing short of spectacular....oh yea and I'm really loving the machine too!

-Don

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast